Face mask penalty

I've seen defensive backs have their heads pushed back so far that the back of their heads almost touch the numbers on their jersey..

I don't believe this is a penalty as long as the offensive player used an open hand without "grabbing" the mask.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Touching in the face mask incidentally is no foul. Grabbing the face mask and releasing is 5 yards. Grabbing following by pulling, twisting or turning is 15 yards.

It seems when the RB puts the hand on the mask it's assumed a legal "stiff-arm" (unless the recipient's head gets pulled). Whereas, when the tackler/defense does it, it's assumed to be a "penalty" every time.

My favorite team lost a playoff game 3 yrs. ago on an inadvertant face mask call (had ball carrier by shoulder pads from side and hand slipped off grazing the runner's mask). It was 4th and 8, runner got 5 yds, but the extra 5 gave the 1st down. Bad way to lose a game, BTW.

Out of curiosity (and to make the point everyone's talking around)...

When's the last time you or Hey-Ref have called a face mask penalty on an offensive player (not including personal foul "scuffles" when masks are grabbed) ??

Can defensive players jam at the line to the facemask if they don't turn the offensive players head or drag them to the ground?

It seems no one can do it but RB's. To me, that is almost an unfair weapon to allow a RB to literally punch the defense in the face mask and it is legal.

It was talked about over and over how well LT used it as a weapon and just go me to thinking that it was a little unfair that one player can jam to the facemask legally and the defense cannot.

An RB can NOT "punch" the facemask of another player...the "stiff arm" is getting out of control, and will be cracked down upon soon due to misreading the rule. A "straight arm" is legal, but when we see RB's push the helmet/facemask it is in fact illegal...almost a jab motion. A legal straight arm is to have the arm locked into position like a ram or in this position to meet an approaching defender.

The rules are the rules. If you don't like the rule write to KHSAA and voice your concern. I like it the was it is.

Put your fist in the defenders face and push him to the ground. It's football and football is physical. I like it the way it is.

Actually, the rules are not the same between high school and college. For an offensive face mask in college, inadvertant or otherwise, it is a 15 yard foul. High school has the 5 or 15 option for offensive and defensive face masking fouls.

And, yes, I've never called one in college either. Not saying I would not, but it would have be big, big, big and before God and everyone.

FBRULES

I don't believe I've ever called a face mask penalty on the runner using a stiff arm. Quite honestly, I don't see too many stiff arms by runners, and if I did see the runner grasp one, I would call it. This rule is in the books for purely safety reasons.