Middle Tennessee 82 Western Kentucky 64

That is hard to tell, to be honest. They have 2 Top 50 wins, both WKU, and if the Tops drop their last game, they will have zero Top 50 wins. Combine that with a schedule ranked around 80 and it is hard to determine just how good they really are. I guess time will tell.

They played toe to toe with Auburn, USC, and Miami. Three darn good teams that felt pretty lucky to come away with a win.

They will be a tough out in the tourney.

I post on a lot of message boards, and this one is probably the worst when it comes to "P5 goggles." I think it's state of KY thing that just carries over into here since this board is the target demographic, obviously.

MTSU is a legit Top 25 team. To compare it to other KY schools that you all would understand, MTSU has the same # of Tier 1 wins as UofL. They have 1 less than Kentucky. MTSU has more road wins than Kentucky has even PLAYED. They are 11-1 on the road this year. MTSU has an RPI of 21. UK has an RPI of 16. UofL has an RPI of 41.

MTSU has the 10th highest adjusted OOC SOS in the country according to KenPom. MTSU played who they scheduled, and played damn well. They only lost one game in a fairly decent conference who was as deadly as any at the top. Only the AAC, Big-10, Pac-12, SEC, AAC, BE, and Big 12 had a more difficult Top 4 in conference.

I'm not arguing MTSU is better than UK, although I would say they are better than UofL. I hope what anyone who reads this post takes away is 1) MTSU is a legit Top 25 team, which pains me to admit because I absolutely hate MTSU, and 2) Sometimes people get too caught up in "P5" bias, and fail to see that teams outside of it can actually be legitimate and are often times simply victims of what conference they just so happen to be in

Could they be a top 25 team? I mean, I guess they could be. We have no clue if they are though because the 3 legit tournament teams they've played all season have beaten them.

That's not a knock on them, that's just a fact. It seems appropriate for people to be skeptical about them when they haven't proven they're a top 25 teams based on who they've played.

I hope what anyone who reads this post takes away is 1) MTSU is a legit Top 25 team, which pains me to admit because I absolutely hate MTSU, and 2) Sometimes people get too caught up in "P5" bias, and fail to see that teams outside of it can actually be legitimate and are often times simply victims of what conference they just so happen to be in

For the record:

1. No they aren't. The proof of which will be the committee, armed with more information that you could possibly imagine, will seed them between 9-12 (36 and 48 on the "S-curve").

2. I could care less what conference a team is in. When you have 351 teams, the only accurate way to rank them is a collection of acceptable metrics which give weight to teams based on their conference only when looking at the depth of their schedule. Your insulting take that people (in this case, I) have some sort of bias that clouds our ability to see a team at a level with which you see them is comically off-base. Is it their fault that Vandy was down this year? Nope. When your resume lacks a single marquee win, "legit Top 25" is a difficult pedestal to crawl upon.

"To compare it to other KY schools that you all would understand"

"I'm not arguing MTSU is better than UK"

Number 1: On this site and in this state, "you all" is "y'all

Number 2: There are a lot of teams better than UK this year.

One day I hope to understand the complexities of college basketball at your level, but until then, I'm going to keep dawdling along with very little knowledge making crazy proclamations.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I certainly didn't suggest otherwise. No reason to get so defensive over me using two teams people on this board are familiar with for comparisons sake to help make a point. I apologize if you mistook that in a condescending way. It certainly was not meant to be.

It is a fact that 99% of people on this board are more familiar with UK and UofL than any other examples I could have used. Therefore, it makes sense for me to use them when making a comparison. Do you disagree? Yeesh.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I certainly didn't suggest otherwise. No reason to get so defensive over me using two teams people on this board are familiar with for comparisons sake to help make a point. I apologize if you mistook that in a condescending way. It certainly was not meant to be.

It is a fact that 99% of people on this board are more familiar with UK and UofL than any other examples I could have used. Therefore, it makes sense for me to use them when making a comparison. Do you disagree? Yeesh.

The way you constructed that first post was absolutely written in a "I know more than you (plural) way". i.e. "To compare it to other KY schools that you all would understand"

Secondly, I'm not the least bit defensive, I'm trying to help you realize that painting with a broad brush when you have zero understanding of your audience and their background is a slippery slope.

If MTSU is a 6-seed or better in 9 days I'll be the first to say I was (way) wrong.