Mayfield 45 Graves County 31

TnCatFan

Morris coaches show comments echoed his post game comments in that we simply got tired on defense in the second half and took a pounding from the large and physical Eagles. Several were cramping up after having had much cooler weather recently and facing a team that he said only had 1 lineman going both ways. The Eagle D also appeared to have suffered the same fate being worn down. The game was essentially a 3 TD Cards win and should have been about what it was. Graves this year is a pretty good team. Morris also mentioned that we have started strong the last 2 games with chances to throw knock out blows and did not put Graves or McCracken away when we had the chance. We need to learn to finish or it will eventually catch us. We are banged up some, Halliburton still has that nagging ankle and Harrison has a nagging ham. We could use some R & R forsure but it will have to wait as a fresh Corbin awaits to tell us more about this team

Radio said crowd was around 8,000 and I think they were pretty close.

Huge thanks to the Mayfield Fire Department for bringing the ladder truck and hanging that King Kong sized American flag from it. I wish I had taken a picture of it, that was awesome!!!!

Oh without a question. And I'm not throwing any shade at Graves at all. But I find it interesting how because Mayfield was played closely that Now its that Graves that's favored. And I think CC's Defense is playing better than it did last year, much more stout than Caldwell. But because we're aren't scoring as rapidly then we're looked at as "not playing well". When the fact of the matter for you Mayfield fans is this...you want to talk about how unimpressed you are with our team and our schedule but before last night your combined opponent record was 5-9. Christian's was 7-9. Ijs.
Hey 55 I was going off what I saw in that game. I have only seen that 1 game and from my observations wasn't too impressed. Maybe they didn't play their best that day. Not saying Graves would beat CC but if they did I wouldn't be surprised.

I went back and watched it again and I'm still scratching my head how this was a two score game. It just feels like MF controlled things more comfortably than the score suggests, but that's probably just my bias. Credit to GC. They played their tails off!

My take on MF:

Off: This team is loaded. I watch Hurt and think "that kid needs more touches." Then Kent Trey runs and I think, "get that kid the ball." Then Jackson trucks folks and I want him to be featured more. And on and on with Harrison, Murrell, Perry, etc etc. There just aren't enough footballs to go around. All those weapons behind a really good line... this thing is a machine.

Def: You will see a play or two here or there, but there's just not much yardage to be had between the tackles. Hence the barrage of hitch passes, jet sweeps, and throws over the top we have seen the last two weeks. We blew some coverages and let some kids get behind us, but we are too fast and athletic back there for that to become a trend. Need to do a better job as a team of setting the edge and protecting the perimeter. I think the formula should be to funnel things back to the middle and let Hurt and Jackson eat. Mostly, we just need to be more aggressive and see more hussle as a team. We need all 11 running sideline to sideline and flying around with purpose on every play. Practice started around 2. I'm going to bet Dew and Champion had it fixed by 2:15.

There's a mid-term exam this Friday which should tell us a great deal more about where we stand, but for now I still say we are ahead of schedule.