Western Kentucky Power Ranking - 9/10/17

Purple88

Blitz,

I think you make some good points here! Concerning South Warren, let's look at their body of work the way we did above:

South Warren - 5A - 4 games; 4 wins:

Hopkinsville 4A - Home W35-14 - Solid Win

Warren Central 4A - At WKU W43-6 - Win, but Warren Central is way down.

Franklin Simpson 4A - Home W36-7 - Solid Win.

Central Hardin 6A - Road W27-17 - Solid Win.

From a Classification standpoint, South Warren is at a -2 (-1 for each 4A team and +1 for CHardin). So looking objectively, shouldn't a solid 5A team beat a solid 4A team at home? I say yes, so that is what they are supposed to do and not a ton more.

I think you have a case against Christian County:

4 games - 4 wins

Caldwell County 3A - Road W27-17 - Good win, but 14 points were from defense/special teams.

Rossview, TN 6A TN team that I am not familar with - Home W18-7. Win, but not sure how to guage it really.

Henderson County 6A - Road W20-14 - Win, but struggled in this game and held on from reports I received.

Hopkinsville 4A - Rivalry W15-12 - Win, but struggled again early, but to their credit pulled it out.

So from a classification standpoint, Christian County is at a -1, but played just good enough to win. So I think you have a strong point here.

Concerning BG, please refer to post #11 for BGs information. And I would say BGs win over Owensboro is better than any win South Warren has had. Just my opinion. They did lose twice, but dropped for it each time, while South Warren continued to climb.

BUT unlike in years past, it will not be up to us speculators to battle it out as to which team is better on October 20, as the 2 will FINALLY play. I am sick as I have to work at the Male vs Manual concession stand for my daughter (1 of 3 people on the planet I would miss this game for - so our good friend @jcarter will have to bring the action to us in this HIGHLY Anticipated Matchup). If South can get by Ravenwood, TN they will come into that game undefeated IMO. Will be a special night at El Donaldson Stadium! Make plans now sports fans!

Sorry you wont be at this game on October 20th P88 you know we all have been looking forward to this match up for the past couple of years. Its been coming for 6 years. I have said in earlier threads South has surprised me this year. But we all know that Coach Smith is a very good coach and has his team ready to play each week.

As for rankings I don't put to much into them. I think P88's are probably some of the most meaningful and thoughtful rankings out there. Very few times have I disagreed with the rankings.

I have said it before I think from a talent standpoint especially with speed and skill positions BG is in a league by itself in 5A. Sure they are down a little this year but they are very competitive in their games against PRP and St X. Its always hard to determine how hard the schedule is going to be. At the first of the year we all thought Hoptown, Franklin-Simpson, and Central Hardin would be very tough opponents for South. But looking at it 4 weeks in to the season those teams while they are good and quality wins for South they still have not lived up to the expectations that we had for them. I don't feel South has a lot of problems the next 3 weeks. Greenwood in 3 weeks is the team that I think has shocked us all with their performances. All of us had higher expectations for that team and I am not sure what all is going on out Scottsville Road. I have heard that they have some injuries with skill positions that has put a lot of the focus on Jackson Adams.

So with the schedule coming up for South I feel they are that team that is in the 3-5 ranking range. South's schedule for the next 3 weeks are against Grayson County who is 1-3, Barren County 0-4, and Greenwood 1-3 as there records stand right now. Where Christian County plays teams that have 2-2 or 3-1 records for the next 3 weeks, Bowling Green's Schedule is similar to South's with Warren Central, Grayson and Barren County.

Mayfield has Graves County 3-1 5A team, Corbin 3-1 3A team, and Murray 2A 2-2 over the next three weeks.

So what I see if the teams take care of business the next three weeks there's not much room for movement in the top 4 positions. What do you say P88?

So what I see if the teams take care of business the next three weeks there's not much room for movement in the top 4 positions. What do you say P88?

I say you're right as rain JC!

I think the top 4 are locked in for a couple weeks anyway! BUT the Owensboro vs Christian Co game is going to be a great one! I could see O breaking the party if they could get by C County.

On the BG section above, I mention Vito Tisdale's kick off return for a TD and said I'd post video of it when I got. Please watch this link, but this kick off return can be found at the 1:23 mark of the video. Enjoy!

Owensboro High School - Bowling Green High highlights - Hudl

Bowling Green looks really fast in their video. I'd say it would be a very tough game for Mayfield.

Bowling Green looks really fast in their video. I'd say it would be a very tough game for Mayfield.

Snake, I agree. I also watched video of Mayfield vs McCracken and was very impressed with the Cardinals (although I expected to be and was). The way I see it is that BG and Mayfield are the goalposts of the west. Mayfield is the left post and BG the right. One is in 2A and 1 in 5A so they aren't likely to play one another not for any fault of the other. However, I think it'd be a whale of a game!!!