All-region and All-State players for 2018

Four players to watch down at Lyon County. First Sophie Bingham, a pitcher who throws in the low sixties and hits some at leadoff but usually in the 2 hole. But most of you guys have heard of her. The kids I would like to introduce are 1 Callista Collins, 2 Sydney Melton, and last but not least Kaelyn Conger. Collins is aplayer everyone wants on their team. She hit over .450 as an 8th grader. She can play anywhere except pitch and has for us. Callista played in the summer for The Sluggers the kid can rake with power. Sydney Melton was an 8th grade catcher for us last year. Sydney has a cannon attached to her shoulder and can also play anywhere in the field. She looks to only get better as she ages. Melton also brings her bat each night. I believe she hit 4 "Dongs" last year and is only getting better. You guys have to see this swing it isn't always the prettiest but it is always a controlled violent swing. Sydney played for the Rage during the summer until she aged up and moved to the St Louis Khaos. Sydney hit 12 or so homers during travel this year@ 14U. Last is Conger or as we call her Kongo. This is a pitcher work in progress and over the last year she has progressed. Kongo started the year hot with the bat and cooled a little as the season went on. That didn't make her a cheap out though. I think she hit two hr's as an 8th grader. This young lady is starting to come into her own as a pitcher. Her fastball is mid to high 50's with a nice little change. Her out pitch is a knee-lock curve that is only getting better. Watch these three I think your only going to hear good things about them. One other player at Lyon to kind of keep a watch on is pitcher Allie Culp. From watching and hearing she had a great summer pitching and is a super coachable kid. Culp isn't going to blow hitters away with speed, but can hit spots and dance the ball around with movement. I will try to get back on tomorrow after work and give you guys a run down on a few others in Western KY.

Really like this young lady, as she did a great job against us in the All A two years ago. I remember at the time she was getting interest from Purdue. Any other schools looking at her or has she commited anywhere?

• 3 months later...

Region 1 you have Lindsay Carroll, Lakyn Largent, and a whole host of choices at McCracken Co. They’ll make another trip to State this year with Marshall Co giving them a run for their money. You will hear a lot about junior Gracey Murt this year as she will be a junior on the field. Gracie Lusk, pitcher from Hickman Co will only be a sophomore but has the potential to do big things at the varsity level this year. She’s a threat offensively and defensively from the mound. Christina O’Daniel comes to mind from Carlisle Co. You’ll see an improved Graves Co team with new coaching staff.

Region 2 is packed with talent too. State champs Madisonville-North lost Tow and Peyton this year but those teams don’t rebuild they reload. Look for them to take the region again and be highly contested by Christian, Webster, and Caldwell. Christian Co has UK commit Emmy Blane leading their stats and Murray State commit Tyler Shemwell close to her. Lexi Miller is their biggest bat at Madisonville now. Webster has added staff and will be improved over last year. Caldwell has had a young group that is finally growing up and ready to make some real noise. Mashea Glover has a big bat and lots of speed for them. And what do those four schools who will contend for regional bragging rights have in common? They all have one pitching ace. Lexi O’Daniel, Courtney Patterson, Karlie Keeney, and Katie Franklin. Expect huge pitching duals with these four this year. Patterson returns as the MVP from the state championship and Keeney committed D1. In my opinion, Region 2 will see some of the best contests in the state this year. The All A regional title will hands down go to Caldwell Co and I predict they win at least their first round of the All A State and possibly go further if they stay healthy.

Who else is ready for some softball? It’s going to be a fun year.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't coached there for a while but I don't think you county Lyon is dead in the All A. Caldwell Co. is a really good young team but so is Lyon Co. Bingham will be a senior this year. Last year Caldwell Co. got Lyon in the regional All A. Lyon Co. came back the next time they played and made a statement that they weren't dead. Lyon Co. also beat the All A regional champ in the district championship game. With new coach Jason Collins I think you are going to see a good hitting Lyon County team. Coaches Monty Todd and Donnie Williams didn't leave a weak team. I do think you are right the 2nd region is loaded this year. I predict Christian Co. is going to state from the 2nd this year. All of their young talent is finally growing up. I think the surprise team this year( and I don't think it's a surprise really) could be Webster Co. Don't county out Henderson Co. I don't know if they are quite ready, but schools of that size always find different players to step up. I agree with you on the 1st region I think McCracken Co. just reloads each year. But Marshall Co is getting better each year. Scott Tucker will have plenty of talent at Graves Co. I can't wait to see how he does with extra players to use. Also a quick question to Region1 Dad... Do you think the Mustangs finally lose a region game this year?

• 2 months later...

Pendleton County has a few young talented players. Their CF and Catcher were eighth graders last year who I believe both hit over .400. And the SS last year was a 7th grader who leads off. Hit .350 with a .550 OBP about 40 runs. Those are all solid numbers for middle schoolers playing Varsity.

Lexi Miller isn’t the only big bat the state champs have. Last year 1-9 hit home runs. Acacia Gray hit 9 or 10, Bailey Woodward hit 4. Seems like several players from this team have been over looked. Not to mention their fielding. Acacia Gray just signed with the Cumberland’s and Bailey Woodward has verballed with Murray State University.