Bengals trade for former Jaguars DE Chris Smith

Everybody wants to talk about need. Shouldn't the Bungals be trying to trade a much needed commodity in their backup McCarron? There are still teams that need a QB desperatley.

If you think your team is good enough to win games in the playoffs, you keep McCarron. If you need players just to try and get into the playoffs, then look for a trade.

If one isn't good enough to be drafted high thats one thing, but to change your draft strategy because you acquired a guy with 5 career sacks would be crazy imo

I don't think they are changing their draft strategy at all. I think all along they been planning on taking player who will make the most impact right away. Which at number 9 is not a DE, unless someone falls.

This imo does signal their thinking all along, and doesn't change their strategy. They know they can also get a pass rusher de later rounds. This guy just adds to the competition.

Everybody wants to talk about need. Shouldn't the Bungals be trying to trade a much needed commodity in their backup McCarron? There are still teams that need a QB desperatley.

If you think your team is good enough to win games in the playoffs, you keep McCarron. If you need players just to try and get into the playoffs, then look for a trade.

Agreed VOR. People act like the Bengals are in desperate need for draft picks. They already have 11 this year. Their key pieces are still around. They are just trying to add new younger talent around. They are in a position where they can risk losing McCarron for nothing after this year, because it is more important to have him this year as insurance if Dalton gets hurt.

Honestly I think the Bengals also want to keep McCarron just in case they do fail again this year. I can see them deciding to start over even at qb and move on from Dalton if they fail again this year like last year.