Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

School Shooting in CA

Featured Replies

How hard is it to empty pockets and go through a metal detector?

 

I don't disagree with you, I just also believe the teacher also had a responsibility to make the school aware of the situation with her husband.

A walk through Metal Detector cost between $2500-3,500 each, I think most systems could find that amount. Then you have to have someone stationed at it all hours the school is open which would cost several thousand each year and would be more problematic financially to afford.

A walk through Metal Detector cost between $2500-3,500 each, I think most systems could find that amount. Then you have to have someone stationed at it all hours the school is open which would cost several thousand each year and would be more problematic financially to afford.

 

It's often the maintaining of a system with personnel that costs more than the initial investment of a system. Schools are already straining to pay teachers competitive salaries. Can't see where they come up with the money for each school in each system.

Does anyone think there is enough money in the budgets for every public school to have functioning metal detectors, especially in a cash strapped state like California?

 

Or Kentucky?

 

A walk through Metal Detector cost between $2500-3,500 each, I think most systems could find that amount. Then you have to have someone stationed at it all hours the school is open which would cost several thousand each year and would be more problematic financially to afford.

 

It's often the maintaining of a system with personnel that costs more than the initial investment of a system. Schools are already straining to pay teachers competitive salaries. Can't see where they come up with the money for each school in each system.

 

All of you proving my point, schools dont really care about safety.

All of you proving my point, schools dont really care about safety.

 

How is not having the funding for it proving they don't care about safety?

It's often the maintaining of a system with personnel that costs more than the initial investment of a system. Schools are already straining to pay teachers competitive salaries. Can't see where they come up with the money for each school in each system.

 

I agree that would be the issue. However a lot of school systems could cut a couple of people out of the central office and afford 4 or 5 people to watch the doors. Almost every school system has areas of waste that could be eliminated, whether it's in the central office or other line items in the budget.

...

Edited by Jumper_Dad

How is not having the funding for it proving they don't care about safety?

 

Simple if they cared, there would be funding for it.

I agree that would be the issue. However a lot of school systems could cut a couple of people out of the central office and afford 4 or 5 people to watch the doors. Almost every school system has areas of waste that could be eliminated, whether it's in the central office or other line items in the budget.

 

They already need to do that for other needs. Truth is you can't get rid of central. I'm not sure I've ever heard of any administration doing it.

Simple if they cared, there would be funding for it.

 

Ask John Q Public that fights any tax increase no matter how noble the cause.

They already need to do that for other needs. Truth is you can't get rid of central. I'm not sure I've ever heard of any administration doing it.

 

I know you can't get rid of it...but dealing with at least 4 or 5 different systems over the years I definitely think some have redundant or unneeded jobs in their central office.

All of you proving my point, schools dont really care about safety.

 

9 deaths in 29 incidents involving guns at 98,000+ public schools in the US last year.

 

According to the Center for Disease Control around 14 children die from playground accidents each year.

 

More people are killed at McDonalds and Walmart than at our public schools.

 

I'm not saying that to dismiss school violence or belittle anyone's loss...my point is as a whole our schools are actually safe. If someone is willing to die themselves, no amount of security outside of turning a school into a prison is going to stop them. Remember the shooting in Sandy Hook, he started shooting at the front door I believe...metal detector or door guard would not have stopped that tragedy.

I know you can't get rid of it...but dealing with at least 4 or 5 different systems over the years I definitely think some have redundant or unneeded jobs in their central office.

 

I 100% agree.

Ask John Q Public that fights any tax increase no matter how noble the cause.

 

Why would a tax increase be needed? School safety should be priority one. Schools make sure sex offenders and felons dont work in the school districts, but yet, they let them walk right in the front door, sign in, and walk about the halls.

Why would a tax increase be needed? School safety should be priority one. Schools make sure sex offenders and felons dont work in the school districts, but yet, they let them walk right in the front door, sign in, and walk about the halls.

 

What would you put in place to stop this? You can't do a background check on everyone coming to the school. Again I don't disagree with what you are wanting to accomplish, just trying to determine how to do it in a realistic manner.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.