Calvary Christian Turnaround

oldgrappler

It wasn't long ago that Calvary Christian would be a team where you could score almost as many goals against as you wanted. I mean no disrespect. They were eager to play the top teams in the area and because their program was where it was at the time, they gave up a lot of goals.

But things seem to have changed at the little Christian school off Rt. 16. Good on them.

As we heard in another thread, the freshman, sophomore, and junior classes at Calvary are producing some excellent soccer players and they are showing it this year and the expectations of success in the near future exceed what many of us have ever seen from Calvary. I am glad to see it.

So what is happening in the program at Calvary Christian? What accounts for the improvement that is being seen on the field this year and bodes well for the future? Keep it positive.

No offense to Calvary but even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. Not disrespecting the kids or the school, but rather the lack of numbers they have in the school which creates a difficult challenge to field a competitive team. I believe the hoops team won the All A 10th region not so long ago. An amazing accomplishment. Very difficult for a school their size to compete with larger schools. But once in a while the stars align and they get just enough good athletes and coaching which gives them that lightening in a bottle year or years. I think every one loves when it happens and they become the darlings of the area. Everyone pulls for them, Villa, Cov. Latin or Silver Grove when they can compete against the usual power houses. Year in and year out, they probably can't compete, but when they do....

That's what makes sports fun.

Assuming enrollment has not increased a lot recently.

Calvary took out Brossart for the first time in their history earlier this year.

Their basketball team showed some potential last season, indicating that the Cougars are in possession of a strong talent pool at present.

I've always been a closet Cougars fan and am happy to see them experience success.

I don't mean to knock the coach, but I'm going to anyway. If Calvary could find a coach that preached on team play, passing, organization in their formation, etc. instead of focusing entirely too much on 3 or 4 decent players invididual skill to carry the team, they could be a real threat. Hate to say it, but this Calvary "team" doesnt play as a team; rather, they play with 3 or 4 guys who look to beat 2 or 3 defenders then play a combination to only try and beat 3 or 4 more defenders.

I don't mean to knock the coach, but I'm going to anyway. If Calvary could find a coach that preached on team play, passing, organization in their formation, etc. instead of focusing entirely too much on 3 or 4 decent players invididual skill to carry the team, they could be a real threat. Hate to say it, but this Calvary "team" doesnt play as a team; rather, they play with 3 or 4 guys who look to beat 2 or 3 defenders then play a combination to only try and beat 3 or 4 more defenders.

If I am following your comments correctly... you are saying, because of the coach, they are actually underachieving.... is this correct?

What I am saying is that if Calvary had a coach that maybe understood more of the tactics and formation discipline of soccer, they could be even more successful than they currently are. In no way am I knocking the kid's on the teams technical talent, beause it is definitely there. I'm just saying that they could be district champs had they been practicing things that were more relevant than 1v1's and shooting the ball.

I am not sure about past classes but it appears there is a solid core of athletes at CC now. I saw them play Campbell County in the district baseball tourney and it was 0-0 after 4 innings with the Cougars best pitcher on the mound. I assume some of these kids are also on the soccer team.