Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Classing KY Fastpitch

Featured Replies

I have been watching a discussion on Twitter about classing softball. Just wondering, what's everyone's thoughts on this. This was not coaches, but reporters discussing the thought of a class system like track. I personally don't want to see as many classes as football. But I do think there could be a system to get a more level playing field. I know the small schools have the All A. There is a whole lot of schools in between the small school and the mega schools that have a hard time getting to any tournament. What's your thoughts and reasons.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any change like this would require a change to the state tournament as well.

2 classes, single elimination?

What about the # of teams and regions? Eight 2 class regions?

I don't see an advantage of doing that for softball. There isn't really enough quality teams as it is. If you classify, you'll only have 3 - 4 truly good teams in each classification. IMO you play it as Sectionals until you get a final 4 and those 4 teams can play a double elimination.

Classed or not, KY is one of just a few states that uses a dbl elim tournament. Of those, only KY uses 16 teams crammed into a less than 48 hour time frame. It's asinine.

 

Probably easiest fix to preserve the current format of 1 team per Region, is simply add a day at the front of the tournament. That way the max amount of games on any single day for a team would be 3. Still requires a multi field setting, though.

 

I personally prefer unclassed. One Champion.

 

In MY perfect world, there would be 4 "areas" of 4 regions...(1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16)

Each Region would have 2 seeded teams in an 8 team Area Tournament.

Then each Area would send top two seeded teams to State Tournament.

All single elimination, 8 team brackets.

Regions and Areas over 2 days. State over 3 days.

 

 

Regional Colleges could host the Area Tournaments, and State could either be a fixed destination, or perhaps rotate to each Area College host.

 

Region and Area tournaments could be same week. M,T & F,S. Then State on Th,F,S following week, so the calendar wouldn't be lengthened.

 

Ah, to dream.

Never, ever, ever going to happen with the current administrator of softball at KHSAA.....ever...

  • Author

I believe it has to start with getting more involved. The small schools don't have enough influence at the coaching level. It will take administration officials to get change. I would prefer a classed system. How many times do we get that Cinderella story in softball where the small beats the big schools? The gauntlet of the state tournament needs to be a fair one. Not many schools have the pitchers to work out of the situation McCracken County was in, use Madisonville as an example. Madisonville if they pull out the win is gassed worse than the Mustangs especially in pitching. If you want one champion that could be done after the class champions are crowned. Class it in four classes and do a final four the weekend after the fact. This would be more money for the state, the venue, and the schools involved.

Never, ever, ever going to happen with the current administrator of softball at KHSAA.....ever...

 

Does the current KHSAA administration have anyone on there that knows softball (sorry kind of a tongue & cheek question)? Honestly, I believe the KHSAA does what is best for them and not kids. I probably will get hammered on that comment but it is just what I see from being at different state tournaments with my teams. Never been with softball but honestly get it out of a city park and show some respect for the sport & girls.

Classed or not, KY is one of just a few states that uses a dbl elim tournament. Of those, only KY uses 16 teams crammed into a less than 48 hour time frame. It's asinine.

 

Probably easiest fix to preserve the current format of 1 team per Region, is simply add a day at the front of the tournament. That way the max amount of games on any single day for a team would be 3. Still requires a multi field setting, though.

 

I personally prefer unclassed. One Champion.

 

In MY perfect world, there would be 4 "areas" of 4 regions...(1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16)

Each Region would have 2 seeded teams in an 8 team Area Tournament.

Then each Area would send top two seeded teams to State Tournament.

All single elimination, 8 team brackets.

Regions and Areas over 2 days. State over 3 days.

 

Regional Colleges could host the Area Tournaments, and State could either be a fixed destination, or perhaps rotate to each Area College host.

 

Region and Area tournaments could be same week. M,T & F,S. Then State on Th,F,S following week, so the calendar wouldn't be lengthened.

 

Ah, to dream.

 

Love this idea and I think quite a few states do this already. My only complaint is get it out of the city park.

Does the current KHSAA administration have anyone on there that knows softball (sorry kind of a tongue & cheek question)? Honestly, I believe the KHSAA does what is best for them and not kids. I probably will get hammered on that comment but it is just what I see from being at different state tournaments with my teams. Never been with softball but honestly get it out of a city park and show some respect for the sport & girls.

 

Nope, not a one....only know what they are fed

Never, ever, ever going to happen with the current administrator of softball at KHSAA.....ever...

 

It will if they do it for baseball.

It will if they do it for baseball.

 

Didn't baseball use to do it about 4-5 years ago?

Didn't baseball use to do it about 4-5 years ago?

 

There used to be a Sectional tournament for baseball. Don't know how long ago it was changed.

Love this idea and I think quite a few states do this already. My only complaint is get it out of the city park.

 

The format I envision, would no longer necessitate a multi field complex, since the maximum number of games played in a day is 4....good grounds crew can turn a single field to accommodate 4 games in a day, and have it in tip top shape for each game.

 

Jack Fisher grounds crew are city parks workers, and do just enough to get by.

Edited by mcpapa
R8

The format I envision, would no longer necessitate a multi field complex, since the maximum number of games played in a day is 4....good grounds crew can turn a single field to accommodate 4 games in a day, and have it in tip top shape for each game.

 

Jack Fisher grounds crew are city parks workers, and do just enough to get by.

 

I am agreeing with you. If you read my former posts I also gave a set-up to get them off the city park. It is a shame that is what the girls play on when baseball is playing in a minor league facility (a very nice one at that).

Edited by mcpapa

A little while back (like less than a year ago) I had heard a rumor that all sports other than Bball were going to classification. It was a rumor and I kinda blew it off except for the fact that the person that told me said the All A folks had already been notified. Again, no validity other than having a conversation with someone that seemed to know what they were talking about. Had other details, but I can't remember them. Anyone else hear that?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.