Conner Lady Cougar's Season

I've heard it stated by a few people and I personally agree that the Conner lady cougars had a very good season. They finished 22-12 and went to the semis of the 9th region tournament losing to eventual champion Holmes. Does 22 wins make it a very good season or should they be judged by how they fared against better competition? If you break their record out against above .500 teams and sub .500 teams it looks like this, 19-1 against teams with sub .500 records and 3-11 against teams with records above .500. This was a team that had 5 seniors but did start 2 freshmen who were the leading scorers on the team. So I ask you do you consider 22-12 a very good season knowing that they beat the teams they should have but struggled against the better teams? I know you have to play the teams on your schedule but we have a lot of discussion on here about playing better teams to make your team better. What's your thoughts?

Certainly most would agree that with victory comes confidence. And with Loss comes the challenge to improve. That said thier is only a few teams from year to year that you can say will be easy wins or tough teams to beat. But as Jenkins is proving with only 8 players on the team any single player can make a difference so you never truly know.

To answer your question I'd say it was a good record and a good season. Be proud of all the girls accomplisments. After all 10 years from now the only thing you will remember is how good the experience was of playing great ball in one of the most competitive areas in the State.

I've heard it stated by a few people and I personally agree that the Conner lady cougars had a very good season. They finished 22-12 and went to the semis of the 9th region tournament losing to eventual champion Holmes. Does 22 wins make it a very good season or should they be judged by how they fared against better competition? If you break their record out against above .500 teams and sub .500 teams it looks like this' date=' 19-1 against teams with sub .500 records and 3-11 against teams with records above .500. This was a team that had 5 seniors but did start 2 freshmen who were the leading scorers on the team. So I ask you do you consider 22-12 a very good season knowing that they beat the teams they should have but struggled against the better teams? I know you have to play the teams on your schedule but we have a lot of discussion on here about playing better teams to make your team better. What's your thoughts?[/quote']

Feels like a post from an upset patent.

I would think that would be acceptable to beat the teams you should and come a little short against the teams better than you. I would say pretty good year in Conner land. A lot of people would take a final 4 in the region. They were clearly not as good as the other three teams, so, again I would say Conner got about as much as they could out of the year.

From last season with winning 11 or 12 games and not getting out of districts and no district regular season wins. Fast forward to this season and winning 22 games and go to regionals to lose to the team who wins the 9th. I'll say that's a pretty good turn around from last year.

Go lady Bulldogs!!!

I've heard it stated by a few people and I personally agree that the Conner lady cougars had a very good season. They finished 22-12 and went to the semis of the 9th region tournament losing to eventual champion Holmes. Does 22 wins make it a very good season or should they be judged by how they fared against better competition? If you break their record out against above .500 teams and sub .500 teams it looks like this' date=' 19-1 against teams with sub .500 records and 3-11 against teams with records above .500. This was a team that had 5 seniors but did start 2 freshmen who were the leading scorers on the team. So I ask you do you consider 22-12 a very good season knowing that they beat the teams they should have but struggled against the better teams? I know you have to play the teams on your schedule but we have a lot of discussion on here about playing better teams to make your team better. What's your thoughts?[/quote']

I think the Cougars had an outstanding season. 22 wins is a tremendous amount of wins regardless of who you play. The future at Conner looks bright for Coach Stamm and the Lady Cougars.

As a former coach that scheduled really tough: Scheduling tough does not always help your program. The first 4 years I was head coach, we probably played some of the toughest schedules in school history. The reward was a barely over .500 record each year, but one. We had 1 regional championship appearance and 1 district title. We were able to compete against the top teams in the region, but still could not beat them. If we would have scheduled a little easier and maybe had 4 20 win seasons instead of just 1, the perception of our program and me as a coach might have been a little different. The reality is most people just look at win totals and do not really understand level of competition. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the past season. 22 wins is nice! Your team was in the final 64!

Feels like a post from an upset patent.

Nope not a patent and definitely not a parent! I didn't say I thought it was a bad season. If you read my post I said I agree that it was a very good season. Just wanted to see what others thought. I know there are those that felt the Reds of a few years ago won 90 + games and people said it wasn't a good season because thy beat up on the Astros and Cubs and other bad teams but couldn't beat the good teams. So I wondered how people felt about this team.

As a former coach that scheduled really tough: Scheduling tough does not always help your program. The first 4 years I was head coach, we probably played some of the toughest schedules in school history. The reward was a barely over .500 record each year, but one. We had 1 regional championship appearance and 1 district title. We were able to compete against the top teams in the region, but still could not beat them. If we would have scheduled a little easier and maybe had 4 20 win seasons instead of just 1, the perception of our program and me as a coach might have been a little different. The reality is most people just look at win totals and do not really understand level of competition. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the past season. 22 wins is nice! Your team was in the final 64!

I absolutely think you are right most people do just look at the final record and in the end it is high school and none of these senior girls will probably play basketball after this year.