LAX- School Support

There are 32 high school lacrosse teams in the State of Kentucky.

The KHSAA currently does not sanction lacrosse so it is technically not recognized as a "varsity" sport by KHSAA.

(12)teams compete for a championship in the Louisville Area League

(20)teams compete for a championship in the KLA league

Does your school support your team?

If so how?

Do they provide/pay for coaches? field time? practice time? funding? equipment? Uniforms?

Just curious- some schools seem to support the lax program as they would any other sports program ...others not so much.

Where does your school stand?

At the athletic director's meeting back in the fall it was mentioned that in the most recent sports survey conducted by the organization, there were fewer schools in favor of adding lacrosse than the previous survey. That surprised me a bit.

That surprises me, it's the fasted growing spot in the country at all levels.

Participation at our school is growing by 20-25% per year.

Colleges are adding programs across the country making scholarship & participation opportunities more available.

The KHSAA & KY HS need to get on board.

That surprises me, it's the fasted growing spot in the country at all levels.

Participation at our school is growing by 20-25% per year.

Colleges are adding programs across the country making scholarship & participation opportunities more available.

The KHSAA & KY HS need to get on board.

Not in rural areas. Lacrosse's growth looks similar to soccer's growth in the late 70s/early 80s when it was basically played in Louisville, Lexington, and northern Kentucky, with a few private schools and large county schools in the state participating. It wasn't until the mid-90s that you saw large scale soccer growth. I suspect we'll see similar lacrosse growth beginning in about ten years.

Lack of available facilities is a potential problem.

Facilities and equipment (you need almost most as much as you do for football) are going to be a big hurdle for any school that wants to add the sport. That being said, it's a huge sport on the east coast, that has grown rapidly in a short period of time. Where I'm from, in 25 years, it's gone from just a few schools having lacrosse , to every school having a boys and girls team.

The challenge of the club sports.

Agree with the comments above. For schools with artificial turf the facilities issue can be handled. But the multi-purpose fields may already be fully booked.

The equipment expense is mostly born by the players. Its like hockey gear - expensive and get very 'personal' after a few practices and games. A good helmet is over $100, stick and head - another $100, pads - another $100 at least, cleats, etc. $500 - just for personal gear - to get started is typical. Then there are uniforms, nets, referee cost, balls, etc. Usually the families of the player bear all those cost somehow. That is probably a major growth inhibitor.

Its a great sport and should continue to grow - but slowly. It would be great to see a lacrosse game played on top of Log Mountain!