Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mercer vs Somerset Scrimage

Featured Replies

Neither team looked very sharp, Mercer scored a couple of times on broken plays. Both teams have alot to work on next week.

 

Huge crowd for a scrimage, Mercer had more coaches than some "class A" teams dress for varsity.

 

What did everybody else think?

Neither team looked very sharp, Mercer scored a couple of times on broken plays. Both teams have alot to work on next week.

 

Huge crowd for a scrimage, Mercer had more coaches than some "class A" teams dress for varsity.

 

What did everybody else think?

 

What format was the scrimmage played? I would expect both teams to work very hard next week on some weaknesses that may have shown up tonight. Thats what scrimmages are for, to prep your team for the upcoming season.

It was exactly that, a typical first scrimmage. Both teams showed their capabilities. Personally, I look for Somerset to be in hunt for the east side of the state in 1A, no questions asked. I was very impressed with their defense.

 

When it comes to Mercer, they looked fine. A lot of kids got to play. And, to be honest, I think Mercer only ran about 6 different offensive plays out of only 1 offensive set, they kept it very basic, which is how it should be done in a scrimmage in the first place. There were variations of that one set, but in general, they stuck with one. Their were all sorts of brighspots, for both teams. This thing is going to be a process as it is with any school in a given year, even moreso true when talking about Mercer.

 

I think that Mercer ended up scoring 4 TD's (maybe 3??) to Somersets 0. Mercer had to deal with a couple big plays being called back by "rookie" mistakes when it came to officiating (no disrespect meant..the refs are getting their practice in just like the teams) and Somerset dropped a few very catchable balls, that come the season, will be for sure positive plays.

 

All in all, a good first scrimmage. I couldnt get over the crown that showed up, and just to think, for a scrimmage!!! Best of luck to the BriarJumpers this year, and of course the TITANS!!

Yeah all we seen tonight from Mercer Co. was a wishbone look and a wing look. Our inside run defense was very good tonight but we had some difficulty stopping the outside run game, mainly jet sweep and quick pitch. Two of Mercers TD's were on broken plays where they came all the way across the field and then back.

 

John Cole did not play tonight for the Jumpers along with A.T. Hunter. A few people had to step up and play tonight for the Jumpers in places where they normally would not play. However their will be plenty to work on in the upcoming week and we are looking forward to having another scrimmage next friday!

  • Author

You are correct Somerset's inside D, was solid. Mercer's O line needs lot of work, no drive off the the ball. My guess is, alot of Mercer's scores this year, will be of the broken play variety, due to the speed of Walker, Jackson, and Ford.

Weak spot of the night was the referees, quick whistles, wierd penalties, I hope we do not draw any of those guys during the early part of the season.

Next's week scrimage against Danville will be a test for sure.

Big numbers for Mercer, that is great guys. I thought Coach Cobb played it pretty close to the vest last night and got what he wanted out of this scrimmage. Our corners and d.b.'s must step up and hit someone. I thought Kyle Moore did a good job in the defensive backfield, but those young kids need to get tough and hit someone!! Cam Jones I thought looked good at linebacker and catching the ball. I too believe we will contend for district and region but we have got to get someone that will mash your mouth for you and Michael Hager you must be that man!!! Be a leader son and play hard every single play!!!!

Big numbers for Mercer, that is great guys. I thought Coach Cobb played it pretty close to the vest last night and got what he wanted out of this scrimmage. Our corners and d.b.'s must step up and hit someone. I thought Kyle Moore did a good job in the defensive backfield, but those young kids need to get tough and hit someone!! Cam Jones I thought looked good at linebacker and catching the ball. I too believe we will contend for district and region but we have got to get someone that will mash your mouth for you and Michael Hager you must be that man!!! Be a leader son and play hard every single play!!!!

 

The coaches were very impressed with Hager last night, they are wondering where that kind of play has been the past 3 years? He was a force to be reckoned with inside last night.

I was impressed with Somerset. I think that you guys have a great team. Who is #85? He seemed like a player. GReat D!

I saw alot of Danville people there checking out Somerset. They have to be a little concerned. You guys reminded us that we have alot to work on. Especially the O-line. You guys brought a good fan following. A few of them were pretty colorful. I thought that was pretty cool. Best of luck to you guys!

I saw alot of Danville people there checking out Somerset. They have to be a little concerned. You guys reminded us that we have alot to work on. Especially the O-line. You guys brought a good fan following. A few of them were pretty colorful. I thought that was pretty cool. Best of luck to you guys!

 

I wish that I could have went! I thought that after this scrimmage I would have a little better understanding on how the Jumpers are going to look this season but not with these mixed reviews. What impressed you with the Jumpers? Why should Danville be concerned, Somerset didn't even score (granted John Cole didn't play)? I do understand that scrimmages are for to show areas of concern and to give people gametime reps to get ready for the season.

Like you said you can't take alot from scrimmages. NCC won Class A last season and did not score in neither of their scrimmages. I was impressed with Somerset's physical play on D. They seemed pretty fast on defense. I know we have a young O-line but the jumpers were in our backfield quite a bit. We have 5 very fast legit backs and you guys didnt give up anything easy. You guys didn't give up nothing up the middle either. Like what was mentioned earlier, most of our scores came on broken plays. Both teams kept it VERY simple last night. I'm sure the Somerset staff knew that Sam Harp of Danville would be in the stands. He wasn't there watching us since we only scrimmage them this season. You guys have a fine team and you have alot to look forward to. We scrimmage Danville next week. If you guys want me to give you a report from what i see, i would be glad to do so. Best of luck!

#85 would be Kyle Moore and yes he had a good scrimmage. I did not mean to infer that Hager did not have a good scrimmage but man that guy has so much potential and I love his mean streak!! That is just what we need!!

We scrimmage Danville next week. If you guys want me to give you a report from what i see, i would be glad to do so. Best of luck!

 

I would like to hear how the scrimmage goes with Danville. Always want to beef on Danville....:ylsuper:

#85 would be Kyle Moore and yes he had a good scrimmage. I did not mean to infer that Hager did not have a good scrimmage but man that guy has so much potential and I love his mean streak!! That is just what we need!!

 

 

I agree. He caught my eye. Every team needs that guy with that nastiness about him. I'd like to have about 20 guys like him.

I would like to hear how the scrimmage goes with Danville. Always want to beef on Danville....:ylsuper:

 

 

Will do. I'll let you know how it goes. It could be ugly for us. For all the team speed we have, Danville will surely match it. But, it's a scrimmage. I'm sure Boyle co. will have someone over there scouting both us and danville.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.