December 24, 201510 yr Yet a governor or president can reverse and remove the charges to free someone that has been convicted, but not reverse an acquittal? Double Jeopardy prevents the types of situations that you have with Amanda Knox in Italy (the government can appeal an acquittal) and while guilty people may be acquitted (Mel Ignatow) I don't believe that the prosecution should get unlimited bites at the apple. The burden of proof is on them as it should be and you get 1 and only 1 shot to prove your case. To the issue of pardons and commutations while some over the years have been distasteful and clearly politically motivates (Marc Rich) I like the idea that there is a final arbiter who can review and intervene in criminal matters.
December 24, 201510 yr Double Jeopardy prevents the types of situations that you have with Amanda Knox in Italy (the government can appeal an acquittal) and while guilty people may be acquitted (Mel Ignatow) I don't believe that the prosecution should get unlimited bites at the apple. The burden of proof is on them as it should be and you get 1 and only 1 shot to prove your case. To the issue of pardons and commutations while some over the years have been distasteful and clearly politically motivates (Marc Rich) I like the idea that there is a final arbiter who can review and intervene in criminal matters. That's my point, Not the situation when a pardon is involved.
December 24, 201510 yr I don't mind the pardons as long as it not like this. Buyin your FoxNews.com - Breaking News | Latest News | Current News out while a criminal. I mean a guy who owes 48 million in back taxes and fled to not pay and was on FBI most wanted list get free ride after his wife gives 201,000 to Bill Clinton and furniture to Hillary. IMO you shouldn't be able to buy your way out like that. Of course it's a Clinton so no one should be shocked. Financier pardoned by Clinton on tax evasion charges dies in Switzerland | Fox News
December 24, 201510 yr Just for fun, here is a list of prominent Presidential Pardons and the number that each President commuted in office. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_or_granted_clemency_by_the_President_of_the_United_States#Richard_Nixon
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.