Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2002 Tahoe - Lights

Featured Replies

I bought a 2002 Tahoe for my son. A week or two ago we went down a really dark road, so he switched to his brights. We discovered that when you turn on the high beams, the low beams go off. So I researched it to see if there's a way to make the lows stay on when switching to the highs. Found this relay....

 

Ordered it and installed it, it's pretty straight forward, 4 wires. When I first installed it, we had a 20A fuse in it, which kept blowing. Switched to a 40A fuse....well that didn't work out so well. Melted the wires from the lows all the way back to the fuse box. Paid a chit-ton of money to get that fixed.

 

Anyone know of another way to get all 4 lights on at the same time when switching to the high beams?

Should have left it alone and installed some fog lights.

Since it melted the wiring I doubt there is a way to do what your wanting to do unless you upgrade the wiring to a lower gauge wire. Apparently the factory wiring isn't thick enough to handle that kind of load.

  • Author
Should have left it alone and installed some fog lights.

 

It already has fog lights. They didn't help that much on the dark road.

 

Do you ever add value to any thread?

It already has fog lights. They didn't help that much on the dark road.

 

Do you ever add value to any thread?

 

 

They have the low beams set to kick off when the high beams come on for a reason.

It already has fog lights. They didn't help that much on the dark road.

 

Do you ever add value to any thread?

 

You didnt state it had fog lights in your OP. Dont think GM does what your wanting to do here with the lights in a factory setup. If what you did melted wires your gonna have fire issues if you try to do something similar (even with lower gauge wire.)

 

Did you think about changing the style of bulbs in the lights themselves. With all the after market type bulbs anymore might make a difference.

Would the led bulbs help, seems like the ones I pass on the road are brighter. Add a led light bar to the bumper and I will guarantee that will light the road up for you.

You can order lights that come with wiring that make the lights brighter.

I had a 2004, and it had the same issue. I was going to try the relay as well, but I was too lazy and didn't get around to it. I didn't think about the load on the circuitry, but it makes sense. I also had to replace bulbs on the vehicle more frequently than any other I have owned. Sorry I can't help, but you have my empathy.

2002-2005 Tahoe's as a group have lousy electrical systems. Check them out on the road, you'll see a burned out front running light consistently. Often the right one. Guy at the dealer said they've never figured out why.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.