New Turf on Ashland Blazer's outfield?

Heard this weekend that Ashland may be putting turf down in the outfield to allow the football team to practice there without destroying the field. There has been much debate about the football team practicing in the outfield since the baseball field was built. Any thoughts?

I think that it is a very smart move & economically viable with the amount of $$$ it takes for the upkeep of a baseball field in general. By allowing the school to have a 2nd option for a practice field for another sport is a win-win in my book. If they are hamstringed by having only 1 field to share between football & boys & girls soccer, it would allow one of those programs to overflow onto the baseball field, get an early practice in & not destroy anything in doing so.

I tried for years to get this done @ the school where I was AD at due to us being severely landlocked with no other practice options to get shot down over & over again & I just gave up..... Meanwhile the baseball outfield was getting treated like a rental car every fall to accommodate the volume of field sports playing teams.

I've heard they will be getting the turf from Louisville when they get new turf for their field next year, or the year after. I've also heard it will be part of the infield and all of the outfield.

That's a great idea. I've noticed, while driving by the field, the baseball players have been doing a lot of work on it. They have sodded the base paths, looks good. All I know is that the outfield is looking torn up from the football team. Hopefully, this will come to fruition and they won't have this problem any more. Hope things go well for the baseball team this year.

This has needed to happen for some time now. The adjacent softball field is always in great shape, however the football team destroys the boys baseball field. The only other on campus place the football team has to practice would be the soccer/track complex. But the soccer team does a pretty good job of destroying that field themselves, not to mention the scheduling conflict it would cause.

So basically the only solution is to turf the baseball outfield. I'm all for it and hope it happens as soon as possible.

• 4 weeks later...