3A Preseason Toughest Schedule

gchs_uk9

Looking ahead to this season, which 3A team plays the toughest schedule?

Traditionally the Central Yellowjackets played a stout schedule and this year is strong too, but maybe not the best. They are playing Manual, CAL, and St. X, along with solid programs in Knox Central and PRP. The district is now a five game slate, unlike their old three game schedule, and outside of Bardstown isn't real strong.

Boyle County has Central Hardin, Bell County, Danville, Anderson County, and Collins, not to mention a tough district.

Lexington Catholic is playing Ryle, Johnson Central, Covington Catholic, Cooper, and Southwestern.

Paducah Tilghman has McCracken County, Central Hardin, Mayfield, Madisonville, and Murray.

Belfry will play Newport Catholic, Pikeville, Johnson Central, and two strong out-of-state clubs.

Russell has Ironton, Ashland, and Raceland.

There are others with tough slate's too. Any thoughts?

Tilghman, by far has the toughest schedule..should prepare them well for playoffs.

Good call. And the thing that hasn't been talked about much is their district is very strong. I think Caldwell County, Union County, and Trigg County should all be good this season, and you never know what to expect from Fort Campbell. If Tilghman gets to Bowling Green in December, they can thank a tough schedule for getting them ready.

3A teams are definitely overachievers.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Belfry plays 5 teams ranked in their respective classes Pre-Season Top 5. Their two other Non-District games are "playing up" against 6A Tates Creek and 5A Harlan County.

Top 5 Non-District per Calpreps

Highest-Rated 2015 Regular Season Opponents: Knoxville Catholic (50.9), Cabell Midland (38.1), Johnson Central (28.7), NewCath (23.4), Pikeville (16.9)

District Replacement: None

Average: 31.6

Average w/ District: 31.6

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Central plays up 4 times and 3 of those are against traditional Jefferson County 6A powerhouses

Top 5 Non-District

DuPont Manual (50.2), St. Xavier (37.8), Pleasure Ridge Park (27.8), CAL (24.2), Knox Central (9)

District Replacement: Bardstown (16.6)

Average: 29.8

Average w/ District: 31.32

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lexington Catholic plays up all 7 times including (4) 6A teams.

Top 5 Non-District

Johnson Central (28.7), Southwestern (27.7), Covington Catholic (22.6), Ryle (21.4), Cooper (20.8)

District Replacement: Boyle County (26.4)

Average: 24.24

Average w/ District: 25.36

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Boyle County plays up 5 times with (2) 6A Teams

Top 5 Non-District

Central Hardin (36.9), Bell County (17.8), Dunbar (14), Anderson County (11), Danville (8.8)

District Replacement: LexCath (21.8), Garrard County (15.9)

Average: 17.7

Average w/ District: 21.28

Tilghman cranks out the roll call of "Who's Who" but only play up 4 times. What they make up for it with is the quality of the lower class teams.

Top 5 Non-District

McCracken County (45.7), Mayfield (42.4), Central Hardin (38), Graves County (19.7), Murray (17.7)

District Replacement: NONE

Average: 32.7

Average w/ District: 32.7

Russell keeps it local but has a quality slate.. but historic rivalries against weaker teams bring them down

Top 5 Non-District

Ironton (OH) (29.5), Raceland (23.6), Ashland Blazer (16.1), Greenup County (0.9), Boyd County (-14.9)

District Replacement: West Carter (0)

Average: 11.04

Average w/ District: 14.02

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Corbin has a quiet but steady schedule

Top 5 Non-District

Mayfield (42.4), Southwestern (27.7), Knox Central (9), Danville (8.8), Whitley County (-2.7)

District Replacement

Bell County (17.8)

Average= 17.04

Average w/ District= 21.14

Top 5 Non-District Average:

Tilghman 32.7

Belfry 31.6

Central 29.8

LexCath 24.24

Boyle Co 17.7

Corbin 17.04

Russell 11.04

Top 5 Games Including District Foes:

Tilghman 32.7

Belfry 31.6

Central 31.32

LexCath 25.36

Boyle County 21.28

Corbin 21.14

Russell 14.02

Conclusion:

The best 3A teams really step up their game to play a tough schedule!

:D

I'd imagine 3A is tough class to schedule in. First off, you're too big to play most 1A schools and even many 2As except for the absolute best or those that are geographic rivals. But if you have a good program, many middle-of-the-road programs in 4A, 5A, and 6A probably want no part of you. Many times it appears 3A schedules have to be tough-to-very tough just to get ten games, which is why some of the teams can stay in the top 10 with 3, 4, or even 5 losses.

I'd imagine 3A is tough class to schedule in. First off, you're too big to play most 1A schools and even many 2As except for the absolute best or those that are geographic rivals. But if you have a good program, many middle-of-the-road programs in 4A, 5A, and 6A probably want no part of you. Many times it appears 3A schedules have to be tough-to-very tough just to get ten games, which is why some of the teams can stay in the top 10 with 3, 4, or even 5 losses.

Definitely... add in a good number of teams are "rural" as well.

Look at the miles Belfry has had to log this year, next year, and the past two years to fill a schedule.

Two trips to Southwestern (almost 3 hours), 2 trips to Harlan County (over 2 hours), 2 trips to Knoxville (over 4 hours), a trip to Gallipolis OH (2.5 hours), a trip to Huntington WV (2 hours), and a trip to Newport (4 hours)

I will also say I am a bit surprised Boyle's schedule isn't as stout as some of the other teams. I am sure Smith schedules exactly how he wanted, especially with a stout District, but was a bit surprising that it wasn't in the same tier as Central, Belfry, Tilghman, and LC.

I will also say I am a bit surprised Boyle's schedule isn't as stout as some of the other teams. I am sure Smith schedules exactly how he wanted, especially with a stout District, but was a bit surprising that it wasn't in the same tier as Central, Belfry, Tilghman, and LC.

The first two games appear to be a bowl deal between Boyle and Mercer. I'm guessing Boyle gets North Hardin and Lafayette next season. This year's bowl opponents (Central Hardin and Bell County) are much tougher than those for next season.

Danville, Anderson County, and Lincoln County are all local rivalry games that will be big money gates for the home school. Keep in mind that Lincoln's coach is Travis Leffew who played at Boyle for Chuck Smith.

Collins and Dunbar are the games that don't appear to have connections, but Collins is only one year removed from a state title and should be much better this season. Dunbar has improved, and while Boyle should handle them, it might be a good end-of-year game before the playoffs.

And of course the district games are set in stone.

If you factor in all extenuating circumstances for many of the games the schedule makes a lot of sense.

Russell's schedule from top to bottom isn't very demanding. The top three teams they play(Ironton, Ashland, & Raceland) are all very good but a weak district and two long standing local rivals(Greenup Co. & Boyd Co.) make it a very average schedule overall. Russell has a few strong options to upgrade their schedule if they chose to. They're all pretty close as well(Cabell Midland, Wheelersburg OH, Lucasville Valley OH). At the moment Johnson Central might be too much for the Devils to handle, but if they continue to improve like I expect them to, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't explore that option.