Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lions WR Ryan Broyles Saving Money for Family by Sticking to $60K Annual Budget

Featured Replies

How does former players being bankrupt hurt the league or the league's image? It's not an employer's responsibility or business how their employee's spend their money.

 

Wont disagree with you, however the employees of the league (which is what the athletes are) affect the image of the league. No different than your actions affect the image of your company.

 

Having million $$ athletes go bankrupt puts a black mark on the leagues. However if the leagues have programs to help the athletes (employees) at least the perception can be the league did everything it could do to help its employees.

 

You are right however in that you can lead a horse to water, but cant make him/her drink.

  • Replies 44
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wont disagree with you, however the employees of the league (which is what the athletes are) affect the image of the league. No different than your actions affect the image of your company.

 

Right, but after I leave my company, my spending habits don't impact them in any way, nor do they care what I do with my money. Why should the NFL?

Health issues and insurance are a completely separate issue.

 

I'm talking why is it the employer's responsibility to stick their nose in how an employee spends their money?

 

Not many businesses do anything like that. Why the NFL?

 

To be fair I didnt single out the NFL, I said all leagues should provide assistance.

Right, but after I leave my company, my spending habits don't impact them in any way, nor do they care what I do with my money. Why should the NFL?

 

They sure do, those players will always be know and addressed as "former NFL player XXXXX".

Health issues and insurance are a completely separate issue.

 

I'm talking why is it the employer's responsibility to stick their nose in how an employee spends their money?

 

Not many businesses do anything like that. Why the NFL?

 

Not when you don't have any money left to make up for the shortcomings of the NFL plans.

 

In short, it is a rare bird that is prepared to manage millions when they are 22 years old, I think the NFL has a duty to protect those young men.

Not when you don't have any money left to make up for the shortcomings of the NFL plans.

 

In short, it is a rare bird that is prepared to manage millions when they are 22 years old, I think the NFL has a duty to protect those young men.

 

We'll have to just agree to disagree. The NFL has zero duty to their employees once they're no longer in the league, outside of health insurance. They certainly have no duty to protect their former employees finances. It's not their job nor their business.

We'll have to just agree to disagree. The NFL has zero duty to their employees once they're no longer in the league, outside of health insurance. They certainly have no duty to protect their former employees finances. It's not their job nor their business.

 

So its ok to have one (Health Insurance) and not the other?

 

Why should they even be responsible for Health Insurance once they are no longer employees? (by your logic)

 

My company doesnt provide health insurance to me if I leave does yours?

So its ok to have one (Health Insurance) and not the other?

 

Why should they even be responsible for Health Insurance once they are no longer employees? (by your logic)

 

My company doesnt provide health insurance to me if I leave does yours?

 

You can get Cobra...

 

And as for the NFL, they should cover health issues that are a result of their former employees time in the NFL.

Not when you don't have any money left to make up for the shortcomings of the NFL plans.

 

In short, it is a rare bird that is prepared to manage millions when they are 22 years old, I think the NFL has a duty to protect those young men.

 

We'll have to just agree to disagree. The NFL has zero duty to their employees once they're no longer in the league, outside of health insurance. They certainly have no duty to protect their former employees finances. It's not their job nor their business.

While the NFL has no duty to give financial advice, providing that service is a no-brainer. For the NFL it is an investment into a product. It doesn't hit home with all incoming players like it did with Broyles, but maybe it keeps a handful of these guy's noses clean that it normally wouldn't have. I think of it like a Wellness program that a company offers. Maybe it is not required, but investing in something like that it may lower insurance costs.

We'll have to just agree to disagree. The NFL has zero duty to their employees once they're no longer in the league, outside of health insurance. They certainly have no duty to protect their former employees finances. It's not their job nor their business.

 

I agree once they are gone from the league, the duty is to make sure they are set up properly before their career ends.

You can get Cobra...

 

And as for the NFL, they should cover health issues that are a result of their former employees time in the NFL.

 

COBRA is prohibitively expensive, but yes, it is available.

Drilling it into their head is one thing. But lets face it some of these athletes are stupid when it comes to life. Leagues should provide the services to help them.

 

I believe every rookie attends a "financial training camp" type of program aimed at financial literacy. Granted, it's probably not that extensive of a program, but it is something.

I agree once they are gone from the league, the duty is to make sure they are set up properly before their career ends.

 

You can't force them to be smart with their money. If they are constantly drilling it into their heads as you mentioned earlier, they've done all they can. Let's actually hold the players responsible for once, no?

 

Let's blame the league for their financial troubles. Athletes have zero accountability or personal responsibility as it is, so why not blame someone else for their shortcomings in this area too...

You can't force them to be smart with their money. If they are constantly drilling it into their heads as you mentioned earlier, they've done all they can. Let's actually hold the players responsible for once, no?

 

Let's blame the league for their financial troubles. Athletes have zero accountability or personal responsibility as it is, so why not blame someone else for their shortcomings in this area too...

 

I think they could do a better job setting up an annuity for each player and making players specifically opt out of it against the advice of the players association. At least I would like to see that. But I definitely understand your point. Maybe it is a little personal for me, those guys entertain the hell out of me and I don't want to see any of them suffer after they leave the league.

Maybe it is a little personal for me, those guys entertain the hell out of me and I don't want to see any of them suffer after they leave the league.

 

I guess this is where we differ. They entertain me to no end as well, but I don't give a dang about any of them outside of that entertainment value. :idunno:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.