Former Ashland, College Coach and NFL Scout Dies

Ram

Former Ashland football coach Hallum dies

Posted: Friday, August 7, 2015 11:28 pm | Updated: 11:31 pm, Fri Aug 7, 2015.

Mark Maynard / The Independent

John “Jake” Hallum, the architect of the 1967 Ashland Tomcats state championship football team and a college coach whose career covered six decades, died Thursday. He was 76.

Hallum coached the Tomcats in 1966 and 1967, leading them to a 13-1 season and the Class 2A championship with a 19-14 win over Elizabethtown during the finals of his last season.

Link

One of my best friends played for him and coach Conley. Greg Dowdy still talks about / praises Hallum along with Herb Conley for forming him as an adult. Greg coached and taught school in the Ashland System until taking a principals job in the Raceland / Worthington school system and is now retired. Dowdy absolutely revived and made vast improvements to the Elementary Schools at Raceland, turned that school into one of the states best elementary schools.

Speaking of Tomcat greats, I just left Ashland Sporting Goods, Dirk Payne's store. What a sale they have going on. Pretty much any type of sportsware is being sold for $3. Needless to say I'm loaded up with Tomcat and UK gear now. Not trying to hijack the thread, but I couldn't help but mention it.

Speaking of Tomcat greats, I just left Ashland Sporting Goods, Dirk Payne's store. What a sale they have going on. Pretty much any type of sportsware is being sold for $3. Needless to say I'm loaded up with Tomcat and UK gear now. Not trying to hijack the thread, but I couldn't help but mention it.

Always liked going in there, Has been a long time but he always had some good U.K. merchandise that others didn't.

Always liked going in there, Has been a long time but he always had some good U.K. merchandise that others didn't.

Excellent store and everything is of good quality. The store is pretty much empty at the moment, but no worries, they have new shipments on the way.