Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What is Racism? Who defines it?

Featured Replies

I asked this in another thread, with no response. I am looking for serious discussion. What is Racism? Who gets to define it?

I've always seen it as two different grades:

 

A) Basic racism is discriminating on the basis of skin color/ethnicity

 

B) Compound racism is using a position of power to act upon the basic prejudices listed in A, thereby causing harm.

  • Author
I've always seen it as two different grades:

 

A) Basic racism is discriminating on the basis of skin color/ethnicity

 

B) Compound racism is using a position of power to act upon the basic prejudices listed in A, thereby causing harm.

Good answers, I agree. But, we usually see many instances where someone is accused of Racism, although they have done neither of those.

Racism is much more than just discrimination. It's also about prejudice and antagonism directed towards someone based solely on their race alone.

Once had a black lady that worked with me. We were discussing a particular black man who I thought was racist. She said he couldn't be racist because he was black.

Once had a black lady that worked with me. We were discussing a particular black man who I thought was racist. She said he couldn't be racist because he was black.

 

Age old myth. Racist blacks are more prevalent and more out in the open than racist whites IMO. People confuse racism with power structure and that is false. I've been around some very very racist black people. I cringe and some of the things they say and believe. It's sad to be around honestly.

Racism is much more than just discrimination. It's also about prejudice and antagonism directed towards someone based solely on their race alone.

 

I'll also add that some people are racist and don't even know it or in denial about it.

Good answers, I agree. But, we usually see many instances where someone is accused of Racism, although they have done neither of those.

 

Racism is more than just those two answers though. Both are great answers and IMO very true but there is more to it and can be hard to put into words.

I'll always be of the belief that everyone has a little bit of racism in them. How people act on it, handle it and speak on it is what will define them. Racial stereotypes are very real and in some ways everyone is guilty of applying them at some point IMO.

Hypothetical question based upon a movie character: After Atticus Finch, can anyone truly argue against the premise that the greatest person of exemplary character in terms of treating all people equal is R. Lee Ermey's USMC drill sergeant in "Full Metal Jacket?"

 

"You are all equally worthless in my eyes!"

I'll also add that some people are racist and don't even know it or in denial about it.

 

I'll always be of the belief that everyone has a little bit of racism in them. How people act on it, handle it and speak on it is what will define them. Racial stereotypes are very real and in some ways everyone is guilty of applying them at some point IMO.

 

Agree completely...especially the bolded. Even if you were talking about me.

 

Everyone is prejudiced against something...race, religion, where someone lives, what they look like, how they speak, how much money they have or even where they go to school.

 

But as you said, it is their actions that define them.

Edited by Jumper_Dad
there their mess up LOL

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.