NKy Girls MS basketball: stay or move up?

FastForward

I think that in general, coaches need to be cautious when they pull up a younger player, be it a middle schooler or even pulling up a frosh to play on varsity. Once a kid gets pulled up and over older players, there is resentment and anger by the other older players AND their parents. This certainly damages the team dynamics on the court or field---to the point of older players not including/passing etc to the younger player just to prove a point. Too often the coach does not address it with his team and the success and dynamics of the team suffer.

Lived it in both basketball and soccer.

Word.

This is key in my opinion. You can't pretend it isn't happening or that it's none of their business. Maybe in the old days you could get away with it, but in today's world, it's better to be up front to not create damage later. Talk to them and explain...let them get questions answered before they fester.

I think that in general, coaches need to be cautious when they pull up a younger player, be it a middle schooler or even pulling up a frosh to play on varsity. Once a kid gets pulled up and over older players, there is resentment and anger by the other older players AND their parents. This certainly damages the team dynamics on the court or field---to the point of older players not including/passing etc to the younger player just to prove a point. Too often the coach does not address it with his team and the success and dynamics of the team suffer.

Lived it in both basketball and soccer.

Word.

This is dead on