Covington Catholic 3 Newport Central Catholic 1

groinpull

I would agree that the defense was having difficulty clearing, but truly the threat had passed (or apparently, not as it turned out) when the goal was scored. CovCath was clearly the stronger offensive team last night and outshot NCC by a wide margin. The NCC defense and keeper did a very nice job. Any reports about Hensley being inferior to anyone defensively are very misleading. He is a very strong player with size and speed. However, the score was 2-1 with about 15 minutes remaining and NCC made numerous runs at the goal without gaining the equalizer.

What number was Mr Hensley? NCC did move personnel around and #11 became the striker. Not sure if that was it

My unofficial talley was 3 shots on goal for NCC ......one of those was played near the end of the box but if the keep would not have played it, would have gone in after 4 or 5 bounces........I can't remember more than 2 other attempts that were not on goal........some attacks, but were cleared by the defense.....

NCC keep is very good at making himself wide........takes up a lot of space and seemed to take the correct angles.

I would agree that the defense was having difficulty clearing, but truly the threat had passed (or apparently, not as it turned out) when the goal was scored. CovCath was clearly the stronger offensive team last night and outshot NCC by a wide margin. The NCC defense and keeper did a very nice job. Any reports about Hensley being inferior to anyone defensively are very misleading. He is a very strong player with size and speed. However, the score was 2-1 with about 15 minutes remaining and NCC made numerous runs at the goal without gaining the equalizer.

Yes, they were clearly better than NCC, you are correct and nobody is saying Hensley isn't a good player. No sense doing a back and forth on how one goal was scored.

I'd agree with most of what you say. To address a couple of your statements, I'd just note that regarding the CCH midfield, the starters were probably on the field together for about 15-20 mins total last night. Not sure you can judge much from last night nor compare to 2011 at this point so I would make those comparisons at the end of the year.

As you noted, #11 (Bryce Day) sat on the bench for a long time, almost the entire second half. He is one of the most talented ball handlers in the state and when he was inserted w/ about 10 mins left, the Colonels tallied their 3rd goal off of his playmaking. #12 (Joe Schuh), #16 Parker Kenney and #5 (Rob Lilly) make up the rest of the CCH midfield. I'd guess they all played about half the game last night, mostly not at the same time.

#10 (Patrick Ballow) is the Colonels most consistent player up top I think and has good ability with his back to the goal, holding the ball and distributing it. #23 (Michael Wessels) is the CCH center back and I would agree with your assessment, he has been strong and consistent the last three games especially.

Well, maybe I'll have to see another game. Just stating my opinion of what I saw. I was more impressed with the 4 down the middle than the 4 across the field. Not that they were not good.

What number was Mr Hensley? NCC did move personnel around and #11 became the striker. Not sure if that was it

My unofficial talley was 3 shots on goal for NCC ......one of those was played near the end of the box but if the keep would not have played it, would have gone in after 4 or 5 bounces........I can't remember more than 2 other attempts that were not on goal........some attacks, but were cleared by the defense.....

NCC keep is very good at making himself wide........takes up a lot of space and seemed to take the correct angles.

Hensley is #12, Freppon is #11. I think they move both of them around, they both played multiple positions in our match against them.