June 27, 201412 yr Author Orlando: Aaron Gordon: I don’t think he’s skilled enough to do the kind of things he’s going to need to do in the NBA if he wants to be anything more than a guy who uses his world class athleticism to get everything he ends up with. There are concerns that he’ll be somewhat of a tweener in terms of position. He’s far too raw offensively to play the 3, but not strong and bulky enough to be an effective 4. He’s going to make highlight tapes catching lobs, following shots with tip dunks, and smacking shots, but I find a hard time seeing him as someone who stuffs the stat sheet. While he isn’t a guy I’ve been high on this whole time, others who’d disagree probably see his athleticism and potential as reason to make him a top 10 pick. I don’t think there’s a very good argument for taking him at #4 while guys like Smart, Randle, and Vonleh are on the board though.
June 27, 201412 yr Author I'm actually a fan of Smart. He's someone I can see finding a role a few different ways. He'll definitely need to improve the consistency on his stroke, but I think he's still got a nice career as a brutish defender who can bull his way to the basket and has solid guard skills otherwise.
June 27, 201412 yr They were discussing it on the radio this morning as well. Another scorer & shooter is not what they needed. Not enough shots to go around with three players who already average 20+. That's what they were saying on Mike & Mike I believe. Couldn't tell you the last time I watched a Kings game. So who is their current outside threat to open it up for Boogie and to allow the PG to penetrate and kick?
June 27, 201412 yr They were discussing it on the radio this morning as well. Another scorer & shooter is not what they needed. Not enough shots to go around with three players who already average 20+. That's what they were saying on Mike & Mike I believe. Couldn't tell you the last time I watched a Kings game. I disagree this was the perfect fit for the Kings. He gives them a real outside threat and Thomas one of 20 point scorers is either coming off the bench or being traded. This pick I think shows the Kings are still in the market for Rondo.
June 27, 201412 yr Author So who is their current outside threat to open it up for Boogie and to allow the PG to penetrate and kick? McLemore? If they're already drafting over him, it's not a good sign on what they spent to get him last season.
June 27, 201412 yr Many of the talking heads are saying this morning that the 76'ers knocked it out of the park.
June 27, 201412 yr McLemore? If they're already drafting over him, it's not a good sign on what they spent to get him last season. Sounds like Mc might get traded.
June 27, 201412 yr McLemore? If they're already drafting over him, it's not a good sign on what they spent to get him last season. Last years draft was terrible and a lot of teams were drafting a similar positions from the last draft. Plus like I said its more than likely one of the two will be traded. Someone asked what are the 76ers doing , its pretty obvious they are accumulating assets for future moves.
June 27, 201412 yr Many of the talking heads are saying this morning that the 76'ers knocked it out of the park. That's because they're of the disillusion that Embiid is going to actually be healthy. I've never seen so many guys drool over a player that won't be able to stay on the court before.
June 27, 201412 yr Author Many of the talking heads are saying this morning that the 76'ers knocked it out of the park. I liked Saric and think Embiid still has a chance to be good. The only problem with the 76ers is that those guys are going to be one and two years from even playing, then probably another year when they are essentially rookies. It's fine if they want to be bad again next season and get a high pick, but at some point, they're going to need to team to actually go out and get something done. So far, you have to like the patience they've shown, but there's also a fair amount of unknowns when it comes down to whether a guy like Embiid or Noel is able to regain form and stay healthy. I'd like what they have in Carter-Williams, ???/Elliot Williams , Thad Young, Noel/Saric, and Embiid if we can assume that Embiid is healthy enough to be effective and they can round out the lineup with a shooting guard who can score. They've had their drafts where the only real concern was taking the best available player without regard to the short term so long as everything fit the big picture. The most difficult part probably winds up being how they do when those needs have started getting really particular, rookie deals are set to expire, and everything needs to gel. They've been great at playing the hand they've been dealt, but I won't envy their position or praise them too much until things start clicking. However, to date, none of their moves or picks are ones that I'd immediately point to and say, "why'd they do that???".
June 27, 201412 yr That's because they're of the disillusion that Embiid is going to actually be healthy. I've never seen so many guys drool over a player that won't be able to stay on the court before. But if any team should swing for the fences 76ers are a team so far away from being good they have to take the risk.
June 27, 201412 yr Author Sounds like Mc might get traded. Last years draft was terrible and a lot of teams were drafting a similar positions from the last draft. Plus like I said its more than likely one of the two will be traded. Someone asked what are the 76ers doing , its pretty obvious they are accumulating assets for future moves. I understand and think that it makes far more sense if one of the two (or even other pieces) end up getting traded. The post I was replying to was who the Kings have that Cousins can kick it out to for an outside shot. Even in weak drafts, teams need to find ways to get guys who'll either produce or be able to be packaged for someone who will. I'm not really going to be sympathetic to Sacramento, a team who has perpetually been in the lottery in recent years, if they wind up with a high pick in a weak draft. Good teams will find a way to get something out of it and bad ones will have no firm course of action and/or repeatedly make mistakes. Sounds like we're agreeing to the same things though. If one of the two Kings' shooters get traded, the move makes far more sense. The 76ers are taking the best available talent and stockpiling assets.
June 27, 201412 yr I understand and think that it makes far more sense if one of the two (or even other pieces) end up getting traded. The post I was replying to was who the Kings have that Cousins can kick it out to for an outside shot. Even in weak drafts, teams need to find ways to get guys who'll either produce or be able to be packaged for someone who will. I'm not really going to be sympathetic to Sacramento, a team who has perpetually been in the lottery in recent years, if they wind up with a high pick in a weak draft. Good teams will find a way to get something out of it and bad ones will have no firm course of action and/or repeatedly make mistakes. Sounds like we're agreeing to the same things though. If one of the two Kings' shooters get traded, the move makes far more sense. The 76ers are taking the best available talent and stockpiling assets. But last year was historically weak . Arguably the worst ever. I wouldn't be surprised if it sets a record on players out of the league immediately following rookie contract.
June 27, 201412 yr Author But last year was historically weak . Arguably the worst ever. I wouldn't be surprised if it sets a record on players out of the league immediately following rookie contract. That's fair, but they haven't drafted well with the picks they've had in most good drafts, so there's not really much you can point to as if to say they'd have done much better unless it was just a product of luck. You count the Cavaliers dodging a bullet for them by taking Bennett and Charlotte taking Cody Zeller for some unknown reason and they are only really out of taking Oladipo or Alex Len. Essentially, their #7 pick was a #5 and they still left the Rookie of the Year on the board for the team behind them. The Kings are so bad because they don't draft well and inevitably end up wasting too many picks on guys like Jimmer, Thomas Robinson, and Jason Thompson. When they have had a "good" draft, it's usually been because more than 1 or 2 teams above them have screwed up and/or they are left with a no-brainer like taking Cousins #5. Here are some of the Kings' draft gems: '12 - Thomas Robinson - 5th Pick: Damian Lillard was #6 & Andre Drummond #9; '11 - Jimmer - 10th Pick (He was traded for Biyombo, who SAC took at #7): Klay Thompson was #11 & Kawhi #15; '08 - Jason Thompson - 12th Pick (remember, this is all before Cousins was there): Roy Hibbert was #17, Serge Ibaka #24, Robin Lopez at #15, Ryan Anderson at #21, Nicholas Batum #25, DeAndre Jordan and Omar Asik in the 2nd Round, etc. I'll give them a pass for saying it draft was weak in that it's not likely they were going to find an All-Star, but based on the years I've listed above, conventional wisdom already saying they've messed up such a loaded draft this year, it's as fair to say that they'd have found a way to screw up the pick one way or another, even if the 2013 draft was "loaded". That's the point I'm trying to make. Honestly, as weak as the draft was last year and as strong as it was supposed to be this year, Stauskas probably goes in almost the same slot both years (unless someone less inept than the Kings makes the pick for them in 2014).
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.