Dixie Heights 5 Highlands 4 (8 innings)

jpa2825

Surprised there is no thread on this. I had to leave after 7, so can't comment on the 8th.

I think the Birds scored 2 in the top of the 1st off of hits by SR Allen, JR Whitford and JR Ramey (along with some wild pitches). I got there as Ramey was picked off 2B.

JR Cochran started for HHS and allowed 3R through 3 inn. I am guessing only 1 of those runs was earned. Birds struggled in the IF all game with a total of, I think, 5 or 6 errors. Cochran pitched well and was lucky to give up only 3 (left bases loaded 1x for sure and maybe 2). While Dixie hit the ball hard, they also mixed in a couple of bloops that found ground and seeing eye grounders. Given the defense HHS played - they were lucky to be down only 3-2.

In the 5th (I think), the Birds scored 2 to go up 4-3. JR Murray with a single, Allen with a walk, Whitford with an IF single (yes -- Birds got some of those as well :)). Murray scored on a WP and Allen scored on a Sac Fly by Ramey.

JR Jones pitched scoreless 4th & 5th innings. Looked sharp and worked out of a bit of a jam in the 5th.

JR Martin pitched the 6th without incident. In the bottom of the 7th, Martin got the 1st 2 batters (5 & 7 (Capel) for Dixie -- sorry for not remembering 5's name, but he is a stud and they were hitting 3rd & 4th in the lineup) on a backwards K and F8. The next batter walked (walks will haunt) followed by a single to put runners on 2nd & 3rd (Birds threw to the wrong base and did not keep runner at 1B). IBB loads the bases. Ground ball to the 3B for an E allows in the tying run. (I could not see the play from where I was standing, so I have no idea how tough of a chance it was.) Martin induces a F7 to end the 7th.

I was told another couple of errors in the 8th allowed Dixie to score the winner. Not sure if there were hits mixed in with that. Someone else will have to inform.

Interested to see who pitched for Dixie and where they sit in the rotation / pecking order. I think 1st pitcher was #10 and he went 4 or 5 innings. He had good velocity and a nice breaking ball. He was followed by #15, I think.

Given the long layoff due to weather (and the cold conditions), I assume JB used 3 pitchers to keep them sharp and avoid long stretches between live game action. May have been other factors. Not sure, just speculating. Tourney in Harrison Co. starting tonight with East Jessamine and Tates Creek in HHS's pool. Should be a good challenge.

Tough game to lose, but the beauty of baseball is you get to go out again today and play.

Surprised there is no thread on this. I had to leave after 7, so can't comment on the 8th.

I think the Birds scored 2 in the top of the 1st off of hits by SR Allen, JR Whitford and JR Ramey (along with some wild pitches). I got there as Ramey was picked off 2B.

JR Cochran started for HHS and allowed 3R through 3 inn. I am guessing only 1 of those runs was earned. Birds struggled in the IF all game with a total of, I think, 5 or 6 errors. Cochran pitched well and was lucky to give up only 3 (left bases loaded 1x for sure and maybe 2). While Dixie hit the ball hard, they also mixed in a couple of bloops that found ground and seeing eye grounders. Given the defense HHS played - they were lucky to be down only 3-2.

In the 5th (I think), the Birds scored 2 to go up 4-3. JR Murray with a single, Allen with a walk, Whitford with an IF single (yes -- Birds got some of those as well :)). Murray scored on a WP and Allen scored on a Sac Fly by Ramey.

JR Jones pitched scoreless 4th & 5th innings. Looked sharp and worked out of a bit of a jam in the 5th.

JR Martin pitched the 6th without incident. In the bottom of the 7th, Martin got the 1st 2 batters (5 & 7 (Capel) for Dixie -- sorry for not remembering 5's name, but he is a stud and they were hitting 3rd & 4th in the lineup) on a backwards K and F8. The next batter walked (walks will haunt) followed by a single to put runners on 2nd & 3rd (Birds threw to the wrong base and did not keep runner at 1B). IBB loads the bases. Ground ball to the 3B for an E allows in the tying run. (I could not see the play from where I was standing, so I have no idea how tough of a chance it was.) Martin induces a F7 to end the 7th.

I was told another couple of errors in the 8th allowed Dixie to score the winner. Not sure if there were hits mixed in with that. Someone else will have to inform.

Interested to see who pitched for Dixie and where they sit in the rotation / pecking order. I think 1st pitcher was #10 and he went 4 or 5 innings. He had good velocity and a nice breaking ball. He was followed by #15, I think.

Given the long layoff due to weather (and the cold conditions), I assume JB used 3 pitchers to keep them sharp and avoid long stretches between live game action. May have been other factors. Not sure, just speculating. Tourney in Harrison Co. starting tonight with East Jessamine and Tates Creek in HHS's pool. Should be a good challenge.

Tough game to lose, but the beauty of baseball is you get to go out again today and play.

Don't be, us Colonel fans don't like to gloat. :cool: Thank you jpa2825 for the detail. I did catch the last couple innings of this game. The birds infield errors were the difference. Dixie was able to escape with the win as a result.

Sounds like Highlands really wanted this game bad, pitching 3 of their top pitchers in the same game!

Cochran and Jones had to pitch a couple of innings or it would of been over a week before they would of pitched again. HHS plays NCC in a district game early next week..:rolleyes: