Region 1 top ten teams for 2014-15

Played with this some in my head and here is the way I see the pre-season top 10 in Region 1 for next year barring transfers, etc.

1 Calloway County - Although they struggled at the end of the season they still return almost all of their key players besides All-Region Center Michael Arnett. Parker Adams will likely be rated the number 1 player in the region pre-season and Skyler Hunter, Wade Carter and Connor Wagner have all been at least two year starters.

2 Marshall County - They lose arguably the most important player in the region in Austin Rentfrow but they return some very good and experienced players. Mason Wooten returns and was one of the best players in the Region at the end of the season. They also return starters D.J. Pigg and Collin Travis. Their District battles with Calloway will be huge.

3 McCracken County - the defending regional champion will have to replace All-Region guards Kam Chumbler and Jared Burnett as well as inside presence Bryce Rodgers. They will return sharp shooter Caleb Stonecipher and center Jason Armstrong who should both have big seasons. Nathan Telfair was also logging big minutes off the bench at the end of the season.

4 Paducah Tilghman - returns starters Sayveon McEwen, Devon Hart, Brannon Warfield and Jesse Dunigan and will be helped by the addition of freshman Jerome Reed who was hurt most of this season.

Remainder of Top 10

5 Graves County - loses a lot but always strong

6 Murray - returns most of their contributors and will be All A favorites.

7 Mayfield - loses Love but returns several starters and contributors

8 Carlisle - returns everyone from very improved team last year

9 Ballard - looks to challenge in District 3

10 St Mary - loses 7 seniors but Overstreet will make them competitive

I agree with the list with the exception of McCracken over Tilghman. That's just my opinion though. I think the list is pretty accurate. I would say that Graves and Marshall are a distance away from the rest of the field though.

I agree with the list with the exception of McCracken over Tilghman. That's just my opinion though. I think the list is pretty accurate. I would say that Graves and Marshall are a distance away from the rest of the field though.

I think you mean Calloway and Marshall are away from the field. McCracken and Tilghman should be pretty interesting next year. I wouldn't argue with switching them.

Yes, you are right. I did mean Calloway and Marshall and not Graves. I think McCracken's future will depend on whether next year's players will buy in like this year's players did and play together. That will be a huge question mark. That and as you said earlier, how they will replace Chumbler and Burnett. Those two drew so much attention and opened up everything for the others. I'm not sure if there is a player left there that can take it off of the dribble the way those two could. Calloway has to be the clear cut favorite at this point.

I feel that the consolidation of the McCracken County schools (sans Tilghman) will shake up the region. The Mustangs were surprised many when they got to Rupp this season. They were a well-coached group who seemed to enjoy playing together.

It will be interesting to see how they develop in years where many of their players don't have significant varsity minutes coming in (as was the case this year due to the consolidation).

• 1 month later...
Who has Calloway hired as coach?

What happened to the present one? I have picked Callow co several times to win that region in the contest and they have failed. May go a different direction this year, even through they will be the favorite.

What happened to the present one? I have picked Callow co several times to win that region in the contest and they have failed. May go a different direction this year, even through they will be the favorite.

Former Coach Bruce Lane resigned to spend more time with his family. Calloway actually just hired Graves County's head coach Terry Birdsong. He lives in Calloway and is going back home where he coached for several years before taking the Graves job. Birdsong is one of best coaches in Western Kentucky and so a talented Calloway senior class will be very difficult to deal with next year I would imagine. Graves is now obviously looking for a coach.