S.C. House or Rep refuses fund to colleges over gay themed books

jericho

I guess I'm wondering how far we're going to allow the whole "it goes against my religious beliefs" excuse to go. It just seems like an incredibly slippery slope to use that excuse so often.

Example: A doctor is a extremely faithful Christian, who is very strong in his beliefs. A young boy/girl comes in, clearly not married, and is seeking treatment for a sexually transmitted disease. Could he use the whole "it goes against my religious beliefs" excuse to refuse treatment? Where does it end, I guess is my question?

When you deny someone the "free exercise" of their religion. If you wanted to google/side research, the free exercise clause and specific cases that apply are probably a good place to start on those. Definitely something that can seem fact intensive at times (i.e., no bright line rules).

For your doctor example, I'd say that they took the Hippocratic oath to "first do no harm" and agreed with a Federal/State licensing agency to either treat the patient or at the very least, ensure that no harm would be done by referring them to someone who would treat them at no disadvantage to the patient, and "roll with that". That's just a guess and probably a bare bones kind of answer though.

I'm not a lawyer, but in my personal opinion, if a doctor said that to a patient, they'd be asking to get involved in a sticky situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience and from what others have relayed to me as well, those who complain most vociferously and ad nauseum about gay issues do so because they are dealing with similar unresolved issues in their own lives. I've seen it over and over. Wasn't it Shakespeare who said, "The Lady doth protest too much, me thinks." Pay close attention to such folks.

In my experience and from what others have relayed to me as well, those who complain most vociferously and ad nauseum about gay issues do so because they are dealing with similar unresolved issues in their own lives. I've seen it over and over. Wasn't it Shakespeare who said, "The Lady doth protest too much, me thinks." Pay close attention to such folks.

So if you are against certain gay issues its because you are gay?