Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Middle School Playing Time

Featured Replies

Agree 1000% on bolded. You will never see my 5th grade team play zone either. I have a bigger 5th grade team which causes nightmare matchups for my bigs defending on the perimeter, they get beat off the dribble constantly but it teaches help side defense and team defense. I could pack it in via zone defense but I would be doing a complete disservice to the kids. Everyone we play packs it in a zone against us cause of our size. I'm coaching these kids to prepare them for middle/high school not to win games and beat on my chest for all to see. Everybody plays valuable minutes if they "Earn" them by showing up for practice and practicing hard. I tell them the 5 kids that put forth the best effort at practice starts the game that week. Practices get very intense and the hustle is off the charts.

 

Like your philosophy for the most part.

 

One thing I'm confused about is why you don't play zone at all. I ask because I wonder if it's because the team you are feeding into doesn't play a lot of zone or if it's because you are of the philosophy that you have to know how to play man correctly before you have the proper foundation to put in zone defenses.

 

I guess part of what I'm asking is: would you play zone if you felt your man defense was satisfactory? If so, how do you know when you've reached the point where your man defense is satisfactory?

 

I ask because I'm curious, not trying to pick at you.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are good enough, then play up. Guess what, in life just because you are older doesn't mean that you get the job. Sports teaches life skills like if you practice enough and get good enough and you are the best then you should be rewarded! You are worried about it hurting the kids that are getting passed over but it also hinders the one that you are not letting play up. They blow a team out in the first half and don't get to play any more in the 6th grade game bc they are so good. How is that "fair" and "developmental"? Play at your skill level.

Can't speak for Clyde and CincySportsFan personally, but I don't think they were really in the "mandatory" camp either (at least not a strict one like the letter was talking about).

 

I will say that something that I think that is unfair about Little League (baseball) and "mandatory" playing time was that, as a fifth grader, we had one or two kids on my Little League team who'd always miss practice but show up to games, and I didn't think that was fair to the kids who'd given up other things for practice that they still got the same innings as some kids because of the mandatory rule.

 

Sure, at that age, I liked going to practice and being with my friends and would have done it anyway, but it didn't seem fair when you are missing a friend's birthday party or something stupid like that to go to practice and sharing a sacrifice with others when some didn't.

 

Exactly why I am against a strict "mandatory playing time" policy as well, it doesn't give the coach any leeway in sitting kids who miss practice, don't work hard, have disciplinary issues, etc. What I AM for is a coach who will work in kids who may have less talent or are less developed, but who work hard and do all the things they are supposed to do. If the administration/hs coach buys in to this and views winning as not the most important thing, then it takes a lot of pressure off of the coach and lets him let kids learn on the floor.

 

I do something similar with my 5/6 kids with defense. Right now they are learning to play man-to-man. Many of the teams we play ONLY play zone. Well, I won't let my kids play zone, they have to and I want them to learn man principles and how to play tough, in your face d, and how to help when the situation calls for it. Well right now it's really hurt us and we have given up a ton of points that we wouldn't have if I let them pack it in and play zone the way other teams play against us. However, I know it will help them greatly in the long run. Kind of the same thing with playing time.

 

Many leagues with mandatory playing time have clauses in regards to such situations allowing you to discipline the child by reducing the time or just having them sit.

However, in many situations at the younger ages, it's not the kid's fault. The kid wants to be there at all the practices and such, but mom and dad are just tools.

Like your philosophy for the most part.

 

One thing I'm confused about is why you don't play zone at all. I ask because I wonder if it's because the team you are feeding into doesn't play a lot of zone or if it's because you are of the philosophy that you have to know how to play man correctly before you have the proper foundation to put in zone defenses.

 

I guess part of what I'm asking is: would you play zone if you felt your man defense was satisfactory? If so, how do you know when you've reached the point where your man defense is satisfactory?

 

I ask because I'm curious, not trying to pick at you.

One reason I do it is because the High school coach demands great man defense as a team in his program. I also believe in it. Kid that understands man to man team defense can learn a zone defense quickly. Harder to teach man than zone and if they get to freshman year and have never played man varsity coach will have my hide. :thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.