Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Closer solution

Featured Replies

Make Cingrani the closer and start stretching Chapman out with the goal of him starting games in August and September.

  • Replies 38
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Make Cingrani the closer and start stretching Chapman out with the goal of him starting games in August and September.

 

 

And who are you taking out of the rotation. Not a good idea at all IMO.

  • Author

Disagree. While the goal is to make him a starter, you can use him where he would be more valuable to the Reds in longer innings situations. Spot starts as well.

 

Cingrani clearly has the mentality for closing and I feel he can be just as dominant in that role while keeping his inning count under control.

 

I am approaching this definitely from the standpoint of it being a waste of Chapman's salary using him in the fashion they are. But I also feel my way strengthens the Reds' shaky bullpen while also making solid moves for the future. Remember how TB used Price in that role, to great success?

  • Author

To clarify -- I would be using him in the traditional fireman role of the '70s and spot starts as needed. There's gonna be more injuries to starters this year.

Disagree. While the goal is to make him a starter, you can use him where he would be more valuable to the Reds in longer innings situations. Spot starts as well.

 

Cingrani clearly has the mentality for closing and I feel he can be just as dominant in that role while keeping his inning count under control.

 

I am approaching this definitely from the standpoint of it being a waste of Chapman's salary using him in the fashion they are. But I also feel my way strengthens the Reds' shaky bullpen while also making solid moves for the future. Remember how TB used Price in that role, to great success?

 

So you want to make him the long man in the pen? Terrible way to utilize Chapman. He is fine where he is, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him get 4 our 5 out saves.

To clarify -- I would be using him in the traditional fireman role of the '70s and spot starts as needed. There's gonna be more injuries to starters this year.

 

 

Very good possibility, but Cingrani is much better suited to be a starter than Chapman.

  • Author

 

Very good possibility, but Cingrani is much better suited to be a starter than Chapman.

 

Cingrani has fewer variety of pitches than Chapman.

 

Cingrani has fewer variety of pitches than Chapman.

 

And is still better suited to be a starter.

  • Author

So, we're essentially saying the Reds have an overpaid closer? Should they be looking to trade Chapman?

So' date=' we're essentially saying the Reds have an overpaid closer? Should they be looking to trade Chapman?[/quote']

 

Who is we?

  • Author

 

Who is we?

 

You and plantmanky.

 

You and plantmanky.

 

I never said that at all. To do that we need to determine the value of closers. How much do you think the Cubs think a good closer is worth?

I don't like it simply because you're potentially weakening yourself, albeit for hopefully a short amount of time during the transition, at two positions. It'd be similar to when Cozart got hurt and people were talking about Phillips shifting to short. If you want to experiment with this, I'd much rather they do it in the off-season.

 

Besides (and I really, really, really hate bringing this up) with the way the current starters have been pitching, there really hasn't been that much of a need for a long reliever. So, how do you stretch Chapman out? Send him down to Triple-A? That's not going to happen.

  • Author

I don't think you weaken yourself that much at all, frankly. You're only getting an inning out of Chapman as it is. Cingrani can do that and more, and seems to have a better mental makeup for the role than Chapman.

 

You can use Chapman very effectively as a bridge guy who can come on when starters get in trouble, or use him for 1 2/3 innings here and there, in the 7th and 8th innings as needed.

 

It takes pressure innings off a bullpen that's struggled this year. It also helps lighten the load on starters over the long haul. It keeps Cingrani regularly contributing and it allows you to gradually stretch Chapman out over time, building his confidence and pitch variety along the way.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.