Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

North Oldham Open

Featured Replies

Seen on KHSAA that North Oldham is already open. This will be their 8 coach since 2004 (when they started a fast pitch team).

 

2004: Rick Walker (5-20)

2005-2006: Dean Taylor (12-29 combine) (2005: 8-11) (2006: 4-18)

2007: Jeff Rosen (13-14)

2008: Erin Grumley (6-17)

2009-10: Eric Ballerstedt (32-27 combine) (2009: 11-15) (2010: 21-12 District Champs)

2011: Henry Neutz (13-12)

2012-13: Michael Jolly (28-41 combine) (2012: 15-21 Trip to region) (2013: 13-20)

 

 

What's the reasoning on a coach staying there no longer than 2 years? Is the school firing them, they resigning on their own? What's the deal?

Edited by All State Baseball

Seen on KHSAA that North Oldham is already open. This will be their 8 coach since 2004 (when they started a fast pitch team).

 

2004: Rick Walker (5-20)

2005-2006: Dean Taylor (12-29 combine) (2005: 8-11) (2006: 4-18)

2007: Jeff Rosen (13-14)

2008: Erin Grumley (6-17)

2009-10: Eric Ballerstedt (32-27 combine) (2009: 11-15) (2010: 21-12 District Champs)

2011: Henry Neutz (13-12)

2012-13: Michael Jolly (28-41 combine) (2012: 15-21 Trip to region) (2013: 13-20)

 

 

What's the reasoning on a coach staying there no longer than 2 years? Is the school firing them, they resigning on their own? What's the deal?

Also the year the school opened I think. North Oldham not an easy place to coach, for whatever reason. I think that most, if not all sports have had a consistent turnover of coaches since the school opened.
Seen on KHSAA that North Oldham is already open. This will be their 8 coach since 2004 (when they started a fast pitch team).

 

2004: Rick Walker (5-20)

2005-2006: Dean Taylor (12-29 combine) (2005: 8-11) (2006: 4-18)

2007: Jeff Rosen (13-14)

2008: Erin Grumley (6-17)

2009-10: Eric Ballerstedt (32-27 combine) (2009: 11-15) (2010: 21-12 District Champs)

2011: Henry Neutz (13-12)

2012-13: Michael Jolly (28-41 combine) (2012: 15-21 Trip to region) (2013: 13-20)

 

 

What's the reasoning on a coach staying there no longer than 2 years? Is the school firing them, they resigning on their own? What's the deal?

 

I can't speak for any of the other coaches, particularly in other sports, but nearly all of the coaches listed above were para-professional coaches (non-teachers). Running a program is a challenge when you aren't based on campus. Even with a sport like softball, it is a huge time commitment for very little pay. You don't do this for the money. I resigned after the 2010 season entirely because of increased responsibilities with my "real job", and there was no way I could any longer be at school at 3:45 to run practice, get the field ready for games, ride the bus to away games, etc. I did return in 2011 as an assistant when coach Neutz offered me the job, which had a lot more flexibility in terms of time requirements. I'd like to think I'd still be the head coach if carving out a living in the real world and raising a family weren't things that needed to be considered. Coaching at North was a great experience. I live in the area and love it when people see me an still call me coach. Eric B.

I can't speak for any of the other coaches, particularly in other sports, but nearly all of the coaches listed above were para-professional coaches (non-teachers). Running a program is a challenge when you aren't based on campus. Even with a sport like softball, it is a huge time commitment for very little pay. You don't do this for the money. I resigned after the 2010 season entirely because of increased responsibilities with my "real job", and there was no way I could any longer be at school at 3:45 to run practice, get the field ready for games, ride the bus to away games, etc. I did return in 2011 as an assistant when coach Neutz offered me the job, which had a lot more flexibility in terms of time requirements. I'd like to think I'd still be the head coach if carving out a living in the real world and raising a family weren't things that needed to be considered. Coaching at North was a great experience. I live in the area and love it when people see me an still call me coach. Eric B.

 

Some have no idea how MUCH time. As much as I use my Coaches Pass that's pay enough. :sssh:

I can't speak for any of the other coaches, particularly in other sports, but nearly all of the coaches listed above were para-professional coaches (non-teachers). Running a program is a challenge when you aren't based on campus. Even with a sport like softball, it is a huge time commitment for very little pay. You don't do this for the money. I resigned after the 2010 season entirely because of increased responsibilities with my "real job", and there was no way I could any longer be at school at 3:45 to run practice, get the field ready for games, ride the bus to away games, etc. I did return in 2011 as an assistant when coach Neutz offered me the job, which had a lot more flexibility in terms of time requirements. I'd like to think I'd still be the head coach if carving out a living in the real world and raising a family weren't things that needed to be considered. Coaching at North was a great experience. I live in the area and love it when people see me an still call me coach. Eric B.
Coach, I have to disagree with you on one point. My father was a teacher and with the time he put in both at school and at home I can't imagine him being able to put in the time it takes to coach high school softball. My hat is off to any teacher that coaches a high school sport as well. Teacher or Para-Professional first requirement to coach Softball or Baseball, you must be willing to work 16 hour days from February to June.
Coach, I have to disagree with you on one point. My father was a teacher and with the time he put in both at school and at home I can't imagine him being able to put in the time it takes to coach high school softball. My hat is off to any teacher that coaches a high school sport as well. Teacher or Para-Professional first requirement to coach Softball or Baseball, you must be willing to work 16 hour days from February to June.

 

I think he meant that a teachers schedule allows them to get off work in time to be there after school, not that they spent any less time per day devoted to softball.

I think he meant that a teachers schedule allows them to get off work in time to be there after school, not that they spent any less time per day devoted to softball.
2:30-2:45 to reach the field and set up, still a pretty tall task.
2:30-2:45 to reach the field and set up, still a pretty tall task.

 

I agree 100%

all theacher coaches are not that devoted. GCHS IS A GOOD EXAMPLE.

 

Gallatin Co, Grant Co, Garrard Co, Greenup Co, Graves Co, Grayson Co, Green Co.....................

Gallatin Co, Grant Co, Garrard Co, Greenup Co, Graves Co, Grayson Co, Green Co.....................

 

Gott all but green co without looking them up, lol.

all theacher coaches are not that devoted. GCHS IS A GOOD EXAMPLE.

 

There are plenty non teachers that are not devoted also, see Holy Cross. (disclaimer did one hell of a job on field but really lacked in other areas)

 

There are a lot of teachers and non teachers that do a great job also.

Believe the new coach at N.O. is Erick Anderson, who has most recently been Asst at Southern HS in Louisville, and has been involved with the Derby City Crush travel organization, as well. I've known Erick for a few years or more, and couldn't be happier for him. He is a good man, and will be a great coach for the players at N.O.

I think he meant that a teachers schedule allows them to get off work in time to be there after school, not that they spent any less time per day devoted to softball.

 

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. Only that being a teacher on campus is more convenient than having a job on the other side of town and assuming your employer will even allow you the flexibility in your schedule.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.