Highlands 9 Newport Central Catholic 7 (JV)

Highlands JV runs its record to 14-0 with the win before a nice crowd at Highland Park this afternoon. SO Lou Bunning gets the win going 5 2/3 strong innings on the bump, allowing 2 runs (1 earned) while scattering 4 hits, striking out 9 and walking 3. SO Clint Bartels goes 5+ innings for the Breds, holding the hot hitting JV Birds down for the 1st 5 innings, only to get hit pretty hard after taking an L screen absolute rocket off the bat of SO Todd Ramey. Birds played add on in the 6th inning with 6 consecutive hits and a HBP before the Breds recorded an out. Birds offense was lead by SO Ramey and SO Jeff Orne with 2 hits each. Nice to see FR Mitchell Cain with his first RBI base knock of the season after missing the first 12 games with fractured ankle. SO Luke Hennigan (rehabbing after a few weeks on the shelf) SO Orne, and FR Cain had 2 RBI each.

IMHO, very surprised Bartels stayed in the game after being struck by Ramey's line drive. Also was a bit surprised that the NCC coach removed RF Dew after he misjudged a ball hit down the line. Seemed a bit extreme at the time.

NCC scored 5 runs in the top of the 7th before SO Ramey came on to record the save. SO Nate Enslen, SO Brandon Gray, and SO Bartels led the Breds at the dish with 2 hits each.

Really nice crowd for a JV game, but that is expected with these 2 teams.

Good to see a bunch of varsity guys there to support their JV brethren.

A key play in the T7 was NCC getting a runner thrown out at home for the 2nd out during their rally. I understand aggressive baserunning, but you cannot allow that to happen. Instead of, I think, 1st & 3rd w/ 1 out down 9-4, they ended up R1 w/ 2 out down 9-4.

Great to hear about the Bunning kid's performance. I've heard that he worked hard during the offseason to "Get Better" and from the game summary above' date=' it sounds like his hard work is paying off.[/quote']

I happened to be able to watch a few innings and what I saw mound composure throwing strikes and ownership. Obviously Bunning worked hard on getting better! Work ethic makes players in the offseason. Congrats Lou keep up the good work! I might add witnessed ball players working hard having fun. Some good sticks in this group!