Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question on official stat for blocking shot and grabbing the ball

Featured Replies

For someone who keeps official stats for boys high school basketball, I have a question. When player A blocks a shot by player B and then player A also grabs the ball after blocking player Bs shot, what are the official stats for that situation?

 

I am assuming for player A, it is 1 blocked shot and 1 rebound. And for player B a missed shot attempt. Is this correct? If not, what are the offical stats that should be recorded?

I believe that's about right. Any time you go up for a shot whether it's from three or lay up, if it's blocked it still counts as an attempt.

For someone who keeps official stats for boys high school basketball, I have a question. When player A blocks a shot by player B and then player A also grabs the ball after blocking player Bs shot, what are the official stats for that situation?

 

I am assuming for player A, it is 1 blocked shot and 1 rebound. And for player B a missed shot attempt. Is this correct? If not, what are the offical stats that should be recorded?

 

That is the way our software records it.

I don't know about others who keep stats and I have brought this up in the past on this website. My understanding from being instructed by college stat keepers is that the ball actually has to leave the shooter's hand in order for there to be a blocked shot. If the ball is still in the shooter's hand, and the ball is deflected out of their hand then it's just a deflection or steal depending if the defender retrieves the ball. If the defender touches the ball while the shooter goes up in the air and they both come back down with the shooter having possession, then the official usually calls a jump ball. Those who are officials will probably chime in here, but that is my take.

  • Author

Thanks. I am not versed on how the "official" stats are recorded. But my main question was the block and rebound stat. Assum the ball has left player B's hand, player A blocks the shot and then player A grabs the ball out of the air. What are the stats that are recorded for player A? I think it is a blocked shot and a rebound. But not sure.

Yes based on your scenario...blocked shot and defensive rebound...sorry I didn't answer your question the first time.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.