Giants 41 Buccaneers 34

In my opinion Coughlin was upset because he thought Eli took a shot when in reality he just tripped. If you could not see the defenders were coming to take a swipe and the OL was caught off guard then you are just blind. I used to HATE at the end of games when the defenders would tee off on myself (offensive lineman) when we just taking a knee. I used to think it was bush league. If anything it is a gentleman's agreement, especially in a multiple possession game. I have seen it happen probably 500 times in my life though, more often in a tight game like yesterday's game. For as wild of a second half you cannot fault TB for thinking something else whacky may happen like the Philly/Giants game back in '78 that is always shown. I thought Antonio Pierce summed it up in that it is an offensive/defensive philosophy and perspective of the play. He said he did numerous occasions when playing for the Giants under Coughlin and no opponent said a thing to him ever, nor was he ever reprimanded by the Giants for doing so.

Edited by bugatti

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion Coughlin was upset because he thought Eli took a shot when in reality he just tripped. If you could not see the defenders were coming to take a swipe and the OL was caught off guard then you are just blind. I used to HATE at the end of games when the defenders would tee off on myself (offensive lineman) when we just taking a knee. I used to think it was bush league. If anything it is a gentleman's agreement' date=' especially in a multiple possession game. I have seen it happen probably 500 times in my life though, more often in a tight game like yesterday's game. For as wild of a second half you cannot fault TB for thinking something else whacky may happen like the Philly/Giants game back in the '78 that is always shown. I thought Antonio Pierce summed it up in that it is an offensive/defensive philosophy and perspective of the play. He said he did numerous occasions when playing for the Giants under Coughlin and no opponent said a thing to him ever, nor was he ever reprimanded by the Giants for doing so.[/quote']

I've watched every Giants game in Pierce's career and I've never seen the Giants do that. Coughlin was concerned bout his Oline's knees too. They didn't just hit them, they dove at their knees. I think that's what ticked him off.

No harm no foul though. It's all over now.

Edited by bugatti

I've watched every Giants game in Pierce's career and I've never seen the Giants do that. Coughlin was concerned bout his Oline's knees too. They didn't just hit them, they dove at their knees. I think that's what ticked him off.

No harm no foul though. It's all over now.

It is a dive under to swipe at the ball and cause a pile-up like you see on the goal line. I do not think they were gunning to tear ACLs. I do not think Pierce is lying but maybe he is. It happens all the time... the main reason for me noticing it is because it used to infuriate me more than anything else in the world. Now it may not be a planned full team attack like you saw yesterday, but it happens all the time where you will see 1 or 2 guys come attacking more out of frustration than anything else. It is basically open season for defenders.

In hindsight it was a pretty brilliant play. Sure' date=' Eli held on to the ball, but it really forced the Giants to work for it and he tripped so who knows if something goofy would have happened.[/quote']

Even if something goofy would have happened, they probably would have had to return the fumble for a TD. There was only about 6 seconds left if I remember correctly.

In hindsight it was a pretty brilliant play. Sure, Eli held on to the ball, but it really forced the Giants to work for it and he tripped so who knows if something goofy would have happened.

The only chance they had was if Eli never even got the snap. Once he begins to simulate a knee, the play is over. That is if I'm reading the rules correctly.