UK commit Jacob Hyde LHL Article

JokersWild24

Clay Co. lineman blossoming into 'special' recruit for Kentucky | High School Sports | Kentucky.com

Nice article by Mike Fields of the Lexington Herald Leader on UK's 2012 DL commit Jacob Hyde.

Some excerpts:

(Coach Evan Napier on Hyde): "I think every kid in our county knows him or has hung out with him. He's that kind of person."...

(Fields): ...That was the case even before Hyde committed last winter to play football at the University of Kentucky, so his profile in this mountain community is even higher now...But Hyde hasn't changed. He's still volunteering at God's Closet (which distributes clothes to the needy), mentoring grade-school kids, working at a part-time job, and trying to fulfill his potential as a football player.

(Hyde): "I love kids," he said. "We live in a small town, and they need somebody to look up to. I love being a role model."

This guy is going to be a solid member of the UK community. Whether or not you think he is ever going to directly contribute on the field, there's no questioning the fact that he's mature beyond his years and looks ready to embrace the role of a high-major D1 athlete positively. Definitely seems to be the type of kid that most will be rooting for.

I've seen him play both as a junior and a senior. He improved dramatically this past offseason. I'm not sure what his contribution at Kentucky will be, but there is no reason to think he can't help out some over the course of four years. Congratulations to the young man!