Freedom Field - Yea or Nay?

So why doesn't the Freedom host a NKY HS Baseball Tourney during the season and not charge the teams and if fact pay them to play there (cover their expenses). Why not invite LexCath, some Louisville teams to play some NKy teams. You do the work, you do the planning, you take the risk, instead of just opening the doors and putting your hands out to take the money without taking any risk at all!

Absolutely LOVE this idea, TOG!! Should have been done years ago. Win-win for all involved - the teams and the Freedom. I can't imagine why it hasn't already happened or at least been discussed.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appreciate the info. You seem to have some inside info about the Freedom and the high school arrangements, so wonder if you can clarify a few other things.

First off, no disagreement at all about Freedom being a great place to watch a game, better parking, better seating, better lighting, better sightlines, better concessions than any high school field around here (concessions a little pricey, but acceptable).

I wasn't able to attend the championship game, so just want to clarify: You are saying that there were 2300 people in attendance for just the championship game on Thursday night? What is the total capacity of Freedom? I won't disagree with you since I wasn't there, but that number sure sounds high.

Given that high attendance number, can you share the specific numbers regarding the gate proceeds, your expenses, and how much the schools netted from the gate revenue? And to whom are these proceeds paid specifically, if you know?

I believe Oldguy is correct about the potential costs to schools using the field if they do not meet certain gate requirements or if they need to use lights. Has this policy changed? Do you have the breakdown of the high school teams that used the field this past regular season (including number of times each team played there)?

I absolutely LOVE Oldguy's idea about Freedom hosting a high school tournament during the season that would be free for the teams given the gate proceeds the Freedom would make. Would love to hear your thoughts on this and if it has ever been discussed in past.

Coop he was talking about the crowd on Monday having such a large crowd and indeed FF is a great place for the fans to see a game but the game is for the players and unlike playing in the BOKC it doesn't get the players ready for the State Tourney!

Coop he was talking about the crowd on Monday having such a large crowd and indeed FF is a great place for the fans to see a game but the game is for the players and unlike playing in the BOKC it doesn't get the players ready for the State Tourney!

Gothcha. Obviously didn't read his post closely enough.

Seeing as the draw wasn't until Satirday it wasn't really known before the tournament that there would be no practice times available, only one makeup time available on Tuesday for any Monday cancellation, and no makeup times available for the semis and finals.

On top of that, the environment at a high school field is a lot better than at Champion Window Field. If you would have seen the Highlands/Conner game at Dixie on Monday compared to all the games held in Florence, you would agree.

Plus you have to add in the elements that make turf entirely different than a natural surface. Every team can field on turf and the playing field is leveled out by that. On a natural field you actually have to have a good fielding team that can play the hops and stay with a ball. As well, a ball hit into the gap on turf is an automatic double or triple because it rolls extremely fast where on a natural surface the outfielder has the chance to cut it off, holding the runner at first or at the very least have a legitimate chance for a play at second.

My question still wasn't answered. I said "Where was this thread before the tourney?" I didn't see a thread about people complaining a week ago.

As was mentioned, how many HS in this area have turf at their school? At least 5 or 6? They could have had pracrice on turf if they wanted. Plus, sounds like the schools dropped the ball in the contract by not putting in about practice time. Your last paragragh goes with what I was asking before, "Where was this before the tourney?" It's not like people do not know how a turf field plays.

You are so wrong that I would agree that I would like it better at a HS field, even after a game at Dixie. Give me ample parking, ample seating, ample food, and good restrooms over any HS field with small stands (not seats) and not so great sight lines. :cool:

My question still wasn't answered. I said "Where was this thread before the tourney?" I didn't see a thread about people complaining a week ago.

As was mentioned, how many HS in this area have turf at their school? At least 5 or 6? They could have had pracrice on turf if they wanted. Plus, sounds like the schools dropped the ball in the contract by not putting in about practice time. Your last paragragh goes with what I was asking before, "Where was this before the tourney?" It's not like people do not know how a turf field plays.

You are so wrong that I would agree that I would like it better at a HS field, even after a game at Dixie. Give me ample parking, ample seating, ample food, and good restrooms over any HS field with small stands (not seats) and not so great sight lines. :cool:

I'm not sure what difference it makes whether this thread came about before or after the tourney. The tournament site was set for the Freedom this year and nothing was going to change that. For me personally, I've found myself less and less enthused about the playability of an all-turf field and after this year decided that my decreasing enthusiasm had reached at point where I simply am not a fan of the surface. It did not have to do with any singular event or performance of the team I root for. I love everything about Freedom, except one thing- the field. But my dislike of that is such that I would be in favor of playing games elsewhere. I am also curious to know how much more financially beneficial it would be for the schools if the tournament was played away from Freedom. Money for school baseball teams is hard to come by these days, trust me. As far as being able to practice at your school's football field, that's great, but doesn't change my opinion about all-turf baseball fields. This isn't a gripe thread that my team (Ryle) was eliminated because of turf and I made that clear from the outset. I just don't like turf for baseball.

Attendance figures:

2300 Monday not counting the game at Dixie

1100 semis

1000 finals

Ok, Mr. Numbers man :p, do you know how that breaks out into total gate revenues and then what was left for the schools after Freedom's expenses were removed? Also, are baseballs and umpire fees part of Freedom's expense? (I am assuming not).

I like the stadium and almost everything about it. Great view from anywhere you can sit. I do not like the turf field. It changes too many things for the teams. When it is wet a player easily slides by a base and the pitcher can slip on the mound. When it is hot, well we see what happens. There were rain outs in the other regions and they completed those in plenty of time for play on Monday night.

If the numbers I have heard about what it cost/ he charges for clean up are true sign me up. I will do it for less and make a lot of money from it. I may not know all of the criteria for it, but let's talk. I am curious if the schools make much from their team participating in this. Would they make more if it was held at a high school? Do the schools care about this part of it?

Place my vote on playing at a high school field. I like the grass. Maybe we need a poll on this thread.

I am not going to take a side in this since I don't have a dig in this fight BUT I do know that the past several years' financial reports for regional baseball tournaments can be found on the KHSAA's website. I am going to provide the link and will say that you need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the files.

Complete Listing of Baseball Past Financial Reports on File

That is very interesting. Thanks for the link.

What a huge difference from region to region. It brings up a few questions. I have always heard the state sets the ticket prices, why are some of them different ($5-$7)? How does it cost $4,400 more to operate Florence Freedom over Whitaker Bank Park? Why does it cost $1,150 for ticket sellers? Does this also include those who take the tickets at the gate? I assume so, it still seems high compared to other regions.

I will examine some more.

Based on the numbers on the financial report, the 9th Region should tell Clint to stick it!! If that is the best deal he can give the community schools for using his facility, they should play elsewhere. His costs are really overboard and I can't believe the 9th Region is willing to pay it. I like the games being played at Freedom but not at this cost.

Move it to the high schools. This is a no brainer after reading the costs.

The food is way over priced.

There are a million workers just walking around the park doing nothing.

What are the positives? uh, let me see, OH YEA - there are seats with backs.

When and who makes these decisions for next year??

Please give it back to the high schools.

Sorry Clint, you will have to use other means of marketing to show off your park.

Thanks

Edited by se se

Based on the numbers on the financial report, the 9th Region should tell Clint to stick it!! If that is the best deal he can give the community schools for using his facility, they should play elsewhere. His costs are really overboard and I can't believe the 9th Region is willing to pay it. I like the games being played at Freedom but not at this cost.

Clint doesn't owe us a deal. The 9th Region made the decision. They're obviously happy with it.