Morgan County Football Needs your help

This came accross the coaches email today and I thought with all the connections in BGP nation, perhaps some of you could help. If you can help, perhaps some of you work for vendors that could give a huge discount or donate some items. You can PM me with info or get with coach Turner directly.

"Coaches:

Many of you have called or e-mailed expressing concern. The following is a short synopsis that very briefly explains our situation in Morgan County as it relates to football. I have held off discussing football very much, at first, because our community had much more pressing needs and issues. Basically, we lost everything! I am going to send out another e-mail which lists the things we lost/need.

Many have asked how they might help. We had planned on doing a lift-a-thon locally, but I thought one thing that might be cool is we opened it up statewide. Possibly individual high schools could sponsor one of our guys and raise money towards his lift totals. Just a thought. If we decide to try that-I'll send out a message to everyone with a list of our players.

Thanks to all for your prayers and concerns. West Liberty is a fine little town, full of wonderful people. We saw God's power, but also HIS GRACE in our time of trouble. We are very thankful that no lives were lost in town and thousands have poured in to assist us. God's love has been written in/on it all.

Coach Brian Turner

brian.turner@MORGAN.KYSCHOOLS.US

Morgan County

Cougar Football

Morgan County Football

From 2006-2008, Morgan County Football went through three coaches in three years, winning only three games. The low point of the program came with the final game of the 2008 season -the cougars dressed only fifteen players-(six of which were seniors), the running clock rule was agreed upon before kickoff, and Morgan lost its 19th game in a row.

In 2009, a fourth coach in as many years and a talented group of freshmen joined the roster. Playing mostly underclassmen; Morgan won two games that year, five in 2010, and tied for most wins in school history in 2011 with an 8-3 mark.

2012 looked very promising as nearly 40 boys lifted weights all winter for preparation for the next season. Then, on March 2nd a deadly tornado ripped through West Liberty, Kentucky completely destroying the football facilities: lights, fencing, press box, field house and concession stand--all gone. With debris deeply enbedded in the playing field and the storage building which housed dummies, field painting equipment, down markers, etc... destroyed; the Morgan County football team will likely not be able to host a football game in 2012.

What these boys need and deserve is a new football facility. One on campus, which actually has a locker room, film room, weight room and storage. The old locker room was a pre-1930's structure which had been used as a WPA program cannery, an electric and welding shop classroom and in 1974 was coverted into a locker room. The old structure did not contain visiting locker rooms or a weight room. The kids often had to climb through/over weight equipment to get to their lockers.

Morgan County is so grateful to all who have helped as we begin to rebuild our fine little town. Our children need the normalcy of Friday night fall football and traditions such as the Sorghum Bowl to feel that life will be great again. Please help us to reach our goal to build a new football facility. God bless you.

Brian Turner

Morgan County Football coach"

"Morgan County Football items lost/needed.

IMMEDIATE NEEDS

65 helmets

65 shoulder pads

65 jersey pants

65 girdles

65 belts

20 footballs

130 game socks (home/away)

65 spirit packs

65 mesh travel bags

30 scrimmage vests

100 mouth pieces

50 field cones

20 hand shields

20 practice dummies

20 lineman chute

20 agility ropes

65 pairs of cleats--molded

65 pair of cleats-detachable

2 medical kits

2 field repair kits

1 heat index monitoring device

1 ice bath tub

2 kicking tees

2 kicking block

65 sets of knee pads

30 receiver gloves

30 lineman gloves

6 water coolers

60 water bottles

60 towels

6 wrist coaches

1 seven man blocking sled

1 end zone camera

1 game camera

10 cases tape

10 cases pre-wrap

1 large screen TV

1 stereo stystem

1 DVD player

1 game film editing program

20 Olympic bars

50 45 lb. plates

50 35 lb. plates

60 25 lb. plates

80 10 lb. plates

80 5 lb. plates

50 2.5 lb. plates

8 weight trees

1 full set of dumbbells

2 sets of plyometric boxes

1 agility ladder

20 dot drill mats

1 large or several small padded mats

2 utility carts

12 squat racks /power racks/ with pull-ups attached

12 bench presses

2 incline benches

1 cable machine

4 dip stands

May God bless you....."

Here is some additional:

Coaches,

If you feel moved to reach out to Coach Turner and his players, I suggest that we do something now. Brian has humbly asked for our consideration, and we should not wait for this opportunity to fade. These are our Brothers, part of our KY football family, and we are blessed to be in a position to help them.

Here’s what you can do:

1. Address an envelope to: Coach Brian Turner, 150 Road to Success, West liberty, KY 41472
  2. Write a Check to “Morgan County Football” for $600 and place it in the envelope; to sponsor equipment and uniform for one (1) player
  3. Enclose one (1) helmet decal from your school for the player you sponsor to display on his helmet during the 2012 season
  4. Tell another coach about this opportunity

I understand that no football team or coach wants credit for helping. We are eager to see our Brothers lifted up. At the same time, it is important to display the character we learn in a football family to as wide an audience as we find. After all, the game stands tallest when we promote the value it brings to our kids, schools, and communities.

WHO’S IN?

Paul Hester

Asst. Coach

BCHS Football

Thanks Guru, had not had a chance yet to post that. Also the Kentucky Middle School Football Association is working with one of our partners to set up a Fund at a bank that schools/individuals can donate too. Details to follow and I will pass them along once finalized. PM if you would like to dontate and I will get you in the right direction.

Coaches and Administrators,

There is a donate tab on the KYMSFA website. This tab will allow you a receipt for your donations. In the line that asks for "purpose of donation" simply put Morgan County Football. Please contribute, lets show Morgan County and West Liberty that we are all interested in helping in their recovery from something so devastating. Thank you from all of us at the KYMSFA.

The Website link is below. If anyone has any questions please pm me. I am a KYMSFA Board Member.

Kentucky Middle School Football Association Sports

Coaches and Administrators,

There is a donate tab on the KYMSFA website. This tab will allow you a receipt for your donations. In the line that asks for "purpose of donation" simply put Morgan County Football. Please contribute, lets show Morgan County and West Liberty that we are all interested in helping in their recovery from something so devastating. Thank you from all of us at the KYMSFA.

The Website link is below. If anyone has any questions please pm me. I am a KYMSFA Board Member.

Kentucky Middle School Football Association*Sports

Could the same thing be done for Magoffin Co?

While I dont think that that Magoffin Co is a member of the KYMSFA (we have over 150 members and get several new ones every year) I dont see why we cant do the same for them perhaps. No one from Magoffin Co has contacted us, but under the circumstances I can understand other more important needs. I will talk to the KYMSFA Board members and see what we can do.

TBG, I am going to PM you.

• 4 weeks later...

Magoffin Co is in need of Team sponsers for the year, being that many of the local business are gone due to the storms. My understanding is that they are in process of getting all their equipment replaced.

Morgan Co is still in need of many things. West Liberty as of last week (personal visit to the area myself) is still a disaster. I will try to get an update from Coach Turner and see where they are at and what immediate needs they may have.

Last I heard is that they willl most likely have to play all their games on the road this year.

Correct they have already planned for this. There is one issue that I am not sure they have resolved yet. Morgan and Magoffin are in the same District and neither can host this game this year. I had heard both teams were reaching out to Morehead to see if they could play the game there, but have not confirmed this.

• 2 weeks later...
Correct they have already planned for this. There is one issue that I am not sure they have resolved yet. Morgan and Magoffin are in the same District and neither can host this game this year. I had heard both teams were reaching out to Morehead to see if they could play the game there, but have not confirmed this.

It would be a shame if they did not let them use their facility.. Rowan Co High School or Morehead State Univ. should let Morgan play all of their home games in morehead if possible...

• 4 weeks later...