Everything posted by QueenoftheSouth
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
I wasn’t saying that there weren’t other things done/not done by each team that contributed to Somerset losing. Let me try saying it this way. If DCA didn’t get those two technical FT’s, they’d have had 2 less points when time expired. And that would’ve been 2 less than Somerset had, which means Somerset wins the game.
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
Not sure why you say that. That call gave DCA 2 points off free throws and resulted in a lost possession for Somerset. Couple minutes later the game is tied and goes to overtime. Just the 2 FT’s alone were the difference in the game. Neither of these two are “my team” so I’m coming at this objectively. From my angle, I couldn’t tell if the T was justified. But I hope it was because it was such a big call at that moment and ultimately was enough to make the difference in the outcome.
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
I thought it was when I saw it on the live stream. I didn’t even think it was close but I only saw it that one time and angles can be deceiving. I will say that the guys (from Lincoln) that were calling it watched a replay and said it was still on the cylinder.
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
Yes along with the missed goaltending call. But most importantly the technical late in the game. If not for that, Somerset almost certainly wins in regulation.
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
Pulaski, Wayne and Lincoln consistently do a very good job with kids from an early age.
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
Wow! So a combined Jessamine would have about 2,600 students but a combined Pulaski close to 3,000 (public school numbers).
-
Mercer County 53 Wayne County 47 (2OT)
Totally agree and as I said in another thread, the coach’s primary job is to win the game in front of them. If that’s what gives their team the best chance to win, that’s what they should do. But that is a different topic than entertainment value!
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
But they didn’t get in the lane when Wayne went zone to start the second half. I think they scored 4 points in the third quarter and maybe a few minutes into the fourth. Seemed like the guys that are their best shooters were timid and hesitant on their shots. And they have a kid or two on the bench that can shoot it yet they never subbed the first time. I guess that surprised me as much as anything - that Mercer didn’t try something different when they went zone.
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
I personally disagree with not noticing. I heard a few folks commenting on the pace/style of last night’s games. And the favorite this year (DCA) plays a slower style as well. I get it because it fits their personnel and that’s what good coaches do. A coach’s top priority should be how to best position their team to win. Not judging any of these coaches, just saying that it’s not pretty. For comparison, I just looked and Pulaski averaged 65 points in their 3 regional wins last year. None of which went to OT. I would hope a regulation high school game would at least be in the mid to upper 50’s by both teams
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
That was the big issue in this game for Mercer. And no, I’ve not seen them be that resistant to shoot the three. Perplexing.
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
I’ll agree with you on this. Wayne seemed to be the more motivated team last night. Hungrier.
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
IMO it’s more about struggling to score, though Jackson has always tended to be more methodical. And yes I think all 4 teams are well coached.
-
Mercer County 53 Wayne County 47 (2OT)
Nope. That’s 5 quarters of basketball. And the Pulaski game 46-42 in double OT? It was highly competitive basketball but tough to watch.
-
Mercer County 53 Wayne County 47 (2OT)
After watching these two games, I don’t know what to expect in the Pulaski/Mercer matchup. Other than a very low scoring game.
-
Pulaski County 46 Lincoln County 42 (12th Region Quarterfinals) (2OT)
That was a tough game to watch.
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
Totally agree with you. I’m satisfied Coach Young will have a great game plan but the players have to make the shots. If they do and limit second shots, they could pull off the upset.
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
The facts about their schedules are just that - facts. I’m not arguing based on emotion. And those facts do give context as to Mercer having lost 10 games (which you brought up), and how they could’ve only lost half that (or less) if they had played a less rigorous schedule. My opinion, and I don’t think it’s a unique one, is that a stronger SOS does help prepare and improve teams. That being said, Wayne is good enough to beat Mercer on a given night, and that could happen in region. No one is arguing that Mercer is unbeatable, just that they’re the second best team in the region this year and are the favorite in this game. For example, they lost to West Jessamine this season (1/3 times) and Mercer is the better team. But I believe Mercer would win a series every time. As @se7ens said, “I certainly am not saying Mercer is a juggernaut, just that they have the second best body of work in the region.” That’s pretty hard to argue if one is able it look at it objectively.
-
11th Region Draw
They may have the toughest first round game but Station and Crossing will likely have to face each other then have to play Douglas. I think that’s tougher than Douglas playing a short handed Madison Central then likely Lex Catholic to get to the finals.
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
Hey, you’re the one that questioned Mercer by citing the fact that they’re a 10 loss team. I’m just bringing the facts about respective differences in strengths of schedule and how that plays a huge role in W/L record. And yes, strength of schedule does matter in preparing a team for the postseason. Just look at how much waiting the NCAA gives SOS in seeding for the postseason.
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
Records alone can be deceiving. Mercer went 21-10, and a 20 win season is pretty strong. But I’m guessing they’ve played one of the toughest schedules in the 12th. 6 of their of their 10 losses came against Harlan County (twice), Bryan Station, GRC, Spencer & Adair. All teams that I think are or have been top 10 during the year. They also beat Lex Catholic, Madison Central and Ballard. All top 20 teams at some point. They could’ve instead scheduled 6 more mid to lower 12th region games instead and probably have lost only 4 games, being 27-4 right now. But instead they challenged themselves. While I’m not familiar with every team’s schedule, it seems like Mercer and DCA really challenged themselves more than most 12th region teams. Perhaps Lincoln too. Contrast that with a .500 Wayne team whose best opponents were maybe PRP, Clinton County or Taylor County. And their best win appears to be Clay County. I’m not saying that Wayne can’t beat Mercer. And am not saying this to disparage Wayne or any other 12th region team. Just saying that Mercer is the better team (based on results) and that, if you’re going to challenge Mercer because they lost 10 games, you need to consider their (and others’) strength of schedule.
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
Excellent analysis. Appreciate your thoroughness and the effort you put into it. This one and for the whole year. I feel good about Mercer and DCA. Boy, Somerset sure got a tough draw here. I guess I’ll go with Pulaski and Sothwestern in the other two. I feel like Southwestern has the pieces to be 2 or 3 in the region but they haven’t shown it, at least not yet. Maybe they make a run?
-
12th Region: Regional Tournament 1st Round Preview
Have to disagree here. No doubt they’re good enough to beat Mercer, maybe 3/10 times. I’m a big fan of Phillips’ game and was glad to see him stay home to play for his home team this season. I just don’t think they have enough to beat Mercer, at least most of the time. But who knows on a given night? That’s the beauty of a one and done format. Also, although Phillips and Ellis are the best players on their teams, they play different positions. So they aren’t going head to head. I am looking forward to watching this one!
-
12th Region: District Previews
I fully expect that. To be honest, I won’t be shocked if he chooses not to play next year.
-
12th Region: District Previews
It’s going to be a struggle next year, for sure. Will be the first year in the last four where I don’t feel like they are heading into the season with the talent to at least compete for the regional title. As it stands, it’ll be a stretch to be in the top half of region.
-
12th Region: District Previews
Definitley. The overall record each of those three years is worse than the lack of postseason success in my opinion. Things happen in one and done situations but the performance over the course of a season (or three) doesn’t lie. Given their talent levels and schedules they’ve played, not good. Also, at least at this point, it doesn’t appear they’ll have any football transfers next year that’ll help the basketball team. That hasn’t been the case for the last several years and that’s going to really, really hurt.