Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Region2 Hype Man

Former Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Region2 Hype Man

  1. I think you hit the nail on the head with the comment about talent. I think they were doing fine and turning a corner with their younger/in-experienced guys and then once the "starters, 1st stringers" have gotten back it has just disrupted chemistry and everything they have worked for in games/practice. The freshman PG Watts has looked great for his age and the hustle/athleticism of Burks has been a major surprise too. I think the biggest blow was the injury to James Nicholas(who is now back by the way). Being long/athletic guarding multiple positions and able to shoot from 3, he is really the x-factor on the team. With everyone out, he was really coming into his own being able to provide a solid 15-20 a night with Johnson/Cager out. I think the big thing now is to get healthy. Cager WILL be back on the court in the next 2 weeks (99.9% certain now) and that will really change their dynamic. Johnson is not a good ball-handler and Cager will get him off the ball. If Tolliver can get back to 100%, he's the best true big man in the region...but I think he was rushed back too soon. Even if they are all back, the team just looks lost. They are missing layups and taking awful 3 pointers. It looks like they just are not prepared and are not practicing. I think having a new lineup every game hurts them too, but they just do not look crisp/prepared like a Hayworth team. Even at full strength, I worry that these issues and injuries will just be too much to overcome. Hoptown this year is reminding me of the 2005-06 UHA team with Josh Mack who were heavy favorites coming off 2 region titles in a row, but they struggled and went out in the first round of district to Keith Tandy's Colonels. Now Region 2 is down for sure this year, but they could be out in the 1st district game very easily. CCHS has a top coach in the state and maybe the best player in the state, UHA has a lot of talents and an elite national prospect, and Madisonville looks like they are improving mightily every time they step on the floor. Hoptown may be deeper with talent/experience..but they have to clean things up quite a bit before region. But, they still have 2 "Hoptown/County games" and another round with UHA...on top of the district tourney...a lot of basketball to be played and Tim has won 5 of 6 region titles so I won't count him out yet.
  2. Henderson had to replace a lot, but I think they have the pieces to be a good team. I really could see them hitting their stride here soon.
  3. Johnson, Cager, and Toliver all sat out. Brandon Govan returned to action.
  4. Like I said, if you don't know how good Toliver is...you have not been watching enough. Maybe he did not put up the numbers last year as a Sophomore because he did not earn his starting spot until mid year and had 4 really dominant scorers in the lineup..but he is a great player and when you see I will find you on here later. So he is revealed, one of those "I hate Haworth guys" haha. He is only good because of his talent lol. All 3 schools have talent, it just all comes down to coaching. Let me guess you think he cheats and is full of crap, the usual talking points to discredit his success. People said the same stuff about Coach Jackson at UHA when I was in school. Tim's players, the HHS students and staff, and the community like Tim and I think he is doing a fine job representing our area to the state. And its not going to be that hard for him, they may not be a top 10 team next year but they will still have Toliver and Nicolas next year along with several of those freshman and sophomores you saw playing last night. They'll still be a solid squad next year. UHA should be the clear favorites next year based on talent returning.
  5. If you don't know how good Tyfrell Tolliver is than you haven't been watching basketball in this area. I seriously don't know how you can say "what has he done" when he has been saddled with injuries all year. At the Hoopfest against BG he was doing what he wanted, even took off and dunked on a player for BG. Foul trouble got to him and as soon as he went out it went from a 3-5 point game to a 20 point rout. Good 6'4-6'6 body solid with muscle. Actually has post moves. I'd say the only true big man in the region. UHA's weakest spot is their rim protection and interior play, I don't think they could have a player near his size in the post, maybe length but not overall size. And if you haven't read the Ky New Era, Cager lawyer-ed up and I am 95% certain he should be back at the start of the 2nd semester from those I have spoken to in the know. I won't put out what I know on this board publicly, but you'll see him in January if I was betting. Oh, and UHA graduate BTW. Yellow and Green glasses. I just follow the AAU scene fairly closely around here and have seen all these players grow through the years at all the schools.
  6. Wow, what a shocker. This team did lose a lot of horses the last 2 years, but man 40 points. As mentioned above, their issue is scoring right now outside of Ware. Long is a solid athlete, but he's not gonna step into the Edwards/Mason role. I do not know if their are attitude issues, but I remember last year there was some turmoil within the team the 2nd half that caused them to slide. I remember the 2011 class that won state struggled early their freshman year(minus Hickey who was in Clarksville). They had a losing record in the regular season and went on to be region runner-up to the Scotty Hopson UHA squad. That core group won the next 3 region titles and won it all. Coach Smith was not well equipped for the job, but Kerry Stovall is the man to fix a team. I think they are adding in a lot of new players and adjusting to a new coach as well. Stovall has always been huge on discipline and team chemistry. He was never scared to kick a guy off the team and have his guys "all-in". I think they will get A LOT better with the return of Corey Trice. He averaged 11 points 6 boards on a stacked team last season. An elite defender, solid perpetrator, and has good ball handling skills. A D1 football player...senior 3rd year starting, I think he is what they need. I don't think they are super deep to be a top 10 team in the state, but adding Trice will give them a punch at the title. I'll never count out a Kerry Stovall coached team.
  7. It was a great night of action. Kyky Tandy is an amazing talent to watch and I think college coaches will be filing in to watch him. With Tandy, Ware, Johnson, and hopefully Cager back, it is going to be a fun year to watch basketball in the 8th district. UHA as a team leaves a lot to be desired from a team standpoint. That Hoptown team they played was not close in talent/experience and still hung with them for longer than most thought. Heights should have won by 20-30. The ball movement is non-existent, its 1 pass then shot every single time. Lazy passes along with just waiting for Tandy to do the work for them. Really impatient on defense as well. Reminds me of the team when Scotty Hopson was a junior, a lot of talent with no clear direction. These kids could be a top team in the state, but it seems they are not being taught good habits. Hoptown was the more impressive team, considering they currently did not have 4 starter and another rotation player was out. It was basically James Nicolas with a bunch of role players and JV guys taking on Heights, and they still played at a level where they could win the game. Most of these kids are playing in their 3rd-4th Varsity games ever. I think getting the younger guys and role players some minutes now will help solidfy their bench/rotation guys once the star players return. I know above you said Johnson and Toliver would not have made a difference, but Johnson is a D1 player averaging probably 20 ppg and Toliver is their only real post threat..I really don't know how that could not make a difference. Shorty Cager WILL be back for the Tigers soon, Govan will be back Friday I believe. I think the Tigers will be back at full strength after Jan. 1st and they should be the clear favorites in the region. But if Cager is not eligible, I think its up for grabs.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.