Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Thoughts on Clay County

Featured Replies

  • Author
Powell Co. is I think 2-7 with wins over Oneida and Betsy Lane. I have seen them play it is not the officiating. Clay should be about 8-0 with 4 seniors in the starting 5. They have not played anyone who should have beat them.

 

Clay did defeat Powell Co. last night. I think the comment about officiating was aimed at the Madison Southern Game. IMO Clay should beat Powell by 20 but only won by 7 or 8. I do agree that Clay should be undefeated.

  • Replies 33
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They lost because they had too many turnovers (especialy in first half) and all but a couple refused to play aggressive defense. Clay has no consistency right now on either side of the ball, coach Gray MUST find the solution soon or Clay's in for a long season.
They will win 20 or more, simply because of their schedule. They have already won 8 games. A lot of home games plus the district and regional at home, I think. Who is this Messer fellow who was the head coach on the radio last game. I thought he went to Fleming Co. :confused:
They will win 20 or more, simply because of their schedule. They have already won 8 games. A lot of home games plus the district and regional at home, I think. Who is this Messer fellow who was the head coach on the radio last game. I thought he went to Fleming Co. :confused:

I wasn't at the game nor did I listen to it, but the Messer in question could be the same Messer that helped coach Gray at Horse Creek Elem. Back in the glory days with the Eagles they were called the dynamic duo. I think his name is slyman messer. Not sure on the spelling.

  • Author
They will win 20 or more, simply because of their schedule. They have already won 8 games. A lot of home games plus the district and regional at home, I think. Who is this Messer fellow who was the head coach on the radio last game. I thought he went to Fleming Co. :confused:

 

Have you seen them play CHIEF? I haven't noticed you at any high school games. If they continue to play like they are now I seriously doubt a twenty win season. Their schedule looks tougher than them at this point. Did they say Messer on the radio? They must have got him confused with Todd Messer's father. This guy is the first French coach in the 13th, the radio guys just miss pronounced it. It's actually it's pronounced Leh'mann Messoir. I can't believe you've never heard of him. :lol: :lol: :lol: C'mon CHIEF, we all know who coach Messer is. :D :thumb:

They will win twenty because of their schedule. How do you know if I have been to any high school games? I have seen Central play twice!! Nice name, Messoir.

  • Author
They will win twenty because of their schedule. How do you know if I have been to any high school games? I have seen Central play twice!! Nice name, Messoir.

 

Cause, I've been to all of them and I aint seen you yet. Please explain why you would have seen Central play twice. Is that Lou. Central, Perry Central or some other Central? Don't even tell me it's Knox Central! :creepy: :D

:

Cause, I've been to all of them and I aint seen you yet. Please explain why you would have seen Central play twice. Is that Lou. Central, Perry Central or some other Central? Don't even tell me it's Knox Central! :creepy: :D
It's me, it's me, it's Ernest TTTTTTTTTT!!!! :flame:
  • Author

Clay picked up another win today in the Berea Tourney defeating Montgomery Co. 55-44. I did see some improvement on defense but they still got a way to go. Their press offense is struggling to say the least. Clay has five days of practice to get some things ironed out before going to Harlan, this will be a good test for our new staff and team.

I watched the Tigers in the Berea Tourney and a couple things they need is someone to shot from the outside and handle full court pressure. If their coach can solve those 2 problems they should be fine. As far as the game against Southern and the officals, Clay has to understand that they were not in the 13th and that they can not jaw with officals and throw balls. Let the coach jaw with officals, he can get away with it when a player can not. The officals called a bad game, period, but not the reason for the lose. Officals do not cause turnovers and poor shot selection. Clay will be fine by the end of the season and if the District and Region is at their place even better for them.

  • Author
I watched the Tigers in the Berea Tourney and a couple things they need is someone to shot from the outside and handle full court pressure. If their coach can solve those 2 problems they should be fine. As far as the game against Southern and the officals, Clay has to understand that they were not in the 13th and that they can not jaw with officals and throw balls. Let the coach jaw with officals, he can get away with it when a player can not. The officals called a bad game, period, but not the reason for the lose. Officals do not cause turnovers and poor shot selection. Clay will be fine by the end of the season and if the District and Region is at their place even better for them.

 

I agree their outside shooting is terrible right now, they threw up some air balls and some bricks the last couple of games. A simple solution to that is to go to the bucket or let shots come to you, don't try to force shots. Their press offense is definitely an issue right now. Clay seems to be content with just getting the ball across the time line, I'd like to see them ATTACK the press more. I've watched High school basketball along time and I would say that 999 times out of a thousand their would have only been one technical called in the game no matter which region it was played in. The last thing a referee is supposed to do is get trigger happy with the T's. I didn't see one conversation between an official and a player or coach prior to the T's. I don't think Clay's fans or coaches have blamed the officiating for the loss but it was pretty bad.

I agree their outside shooting is terrible right now, they threw up some air balls and some bricks the last couple of games. A simple solution to that is to go to the bucket or let shots come to you, don't try to force shots. Their press offense is definitely an issue right now. Clay seems to be content with just getting the ball across the time line, I'd like to see them ATTACK the press more. I've watched High school basketball along time and I would say that 999 times out of a thousand their would have only been one technical called in the game no matter which region it was played in. The last thing a referee is supposed to do is get trigger happy with the T's. I didn't see one conversation between an official and a player or coach prior to the T's. I don't think Clay's fans or coaches have blamed the officiating for the loss but it was pretty bad.

I agree with you about the referee getting trigger happy with the T's, but the Tiger players would say a few words the ref did not take kind to. One T was on Tiger player for throwing the ball after a call was made. Tiger's bounced back with a win and now they have to get things fixed in order to make their run for March. With addition on North and South Laurel it is not going to get any easier. Good luck to Clay Co with the rest of the season.

  • Author
They will win 20 or more, simply because of their schedule. They have already won 8 games. A lot of home games plus the district and regional at home, I think. Who is this Messer fellow who was the head coach on the radio last game. I thought he went to Fleming Co. :confused:

 

Messer may have been the head coach on the radio but it looked to me like Coach Combs did 99.9% of the coaching on the floor in the victory.

Messer may have been the head coach on the radio but it looked to me like Coach Combs did 99.9% of the coaching on the floor in the victory.

 

That's interesting because the impression that I got was that Messer did in fact do the coaching. Many people I have talked to were very complimentary of the job that Coach Messer did particularly on the defensive end while the offense struggled as usual.

  • Author
That's interesting because the impression that I got was that Messer did in fact do the coaching. Many people I have talked to were very complimentary of the job that Coach Messer did particularly on the defensive end while the offense struggled as usual.

 

I sat right behind the bench and during timeouts it was obvious who was in charge. I could tell who the kids were fixated on. In no way am I trying to disrespect either coach, it's just how it looked to me. They both did a good job in the absense of Gray. :thumb: Oh Yea, I haven't seen Clay play defense yet as a team.

Well I wasn't at the game so maybe I shouldn't have said anything but I was just going by what some of the people I know over in Manchester said. They are usually pretty reliable sources. Perhaps they were wrong.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.