Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What's your interest level with KY HS wrestling?

Featured Replies

All this wrestling talk has gotten me nostalgic for the old days when BGP had a very active wrestling community. I'd love to start getting some more life into this forum so I figured I'd start with finding out how many people we have that follow along and how actively they follow.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in the 70s and 80s when high school wrestling was really big. One of my close friends dominated so I got into it through him. I've been disappointed to see schools in NKY like Boone County do away with their wrestling program.

  • Author
I grew up in the 70s and 80s when high school wrestling was really big. One of my close friends dominated so I got into it through him. I've been disappointed to see schools in NKY like Boone County do away with their wrestling program.
Do you follow along any now? I've heard talk that Boone County may be getting a program again.
Do you follow along any now? I've heard talk that Boone County may be getting a program again.

 

Not closely since it doesn't get the coverage it used to. Ryle and Campbell seem to be the only 2 dominant NKY programs.

 

It's crazy to think that Conner High School opened in 1971 (I think) and still has the same head coach. Coach Badida is a HOFer.

  • Author
Not closely since it doesn't get the coverage it used to. Ryle and Campbell seem to be the only 2 dominant NKY programs.

 

It's crazy to think that Conner High School opened in 1971 (I think) and still has the same head coach. Coach Badida is a HOFer.

Simon Kenton has a few VERY good wrestlers and is setting themselves up to compete at Ryle and Campbell's level. Also, Walton Verona is a new(er) program with a really good coach. Definitely heading in the right direction.

 

It is pretty crazy, unfortunately for Conner they haven't been good in quite some time. We went to a tournament there my JR year. Still remember that tournament vividly -- I had been battling the flu the entire week so while I had no trouble making weight -- I was very weakened. My first match of the day was a kid from my district (districts have been abolished) who I pinned multiple times throughout my career. I wrestled the worst match of my career and lost to him which left Coach "not pleased", to say the least. However, I did come back to get 3rd, also pinned a kid in a surfboard in route to doing so. :D

 

It is pretty crazy, unfortunately for Conner they haven't been good in quite some time.

 

The heydey seemed to be late 70s early 80s. I think they finished 2nd in the state in 1981.

  • Author
The heydey seemed to be late 70s early 80s. I think they finished 2nd in the state in 1981.
Yep, by the time I came around they'd still have some good wrestlers but they weren't competitive as a team.

Boone Co has had a program for the last few years, small one but they have one.

Boone Co has had a program for the last few years, small one but they have one.

 

Then I apologize to the young men working hard on the mats. Glad to hear it.

 

My perception is that wrestling has lost popularity. Is that wrong?

Then I apologize to the young men working hard on the mats. Glad to hear it.

 

My perception is that wrestling has lost popularity. Is that wrong?

 

I would say yes and no to that Clyde.

 

No, because there are tons of little ones in the youth programs and this year the Youth State tournament in KY will have well over 1000 kids this year.

 

Yes, because it doesnt get the coverage like the other sports, so at the middle and High School level it seems as if it has lost popularity but it really is increasing, but only those that are involved or follow it, see the rise.

I follow it a little usually just by word of mouth from some of my friends that still coach. Grew up with the older Coopers from SK and watched them back in the day. Not sure how good SK's program is now but they always had a good handful of good wrestlers and then in NKY it was either Ryle or Campbell Co.

  • Author
Then I apologize to the young men working hard on the mats. Glad to hear it.

 

My perception is that wrestling has lost popularity. Is that wrong?

Participation has increased since when I was in HS and as plantman mentions youth wrestling in this state has really increased in popularity. Unfortunately, media coverage is very poor as a whole, although there are some papers which do cover it fairly well. I know the LaRue County Herald News gives it just as much if not more coverage than the basketball team. Also, the News-Enterprise does a pretty good job. However, the CJ and HL have almost non-existent coverage...

 

I sometimes wonder how much of this is to blame on the wrestling community though. I'm honestly not that in-touch with the "Louisville wrestling scene" but a lot of that has to do with not knowing how to find out when matches are.

 

So while it may have lost media popularity, I'd say the participation is higher than ever. Also, the quality is getting better with more and more elite wrestlers finding national success.

  • Author
I follow it a little usually just by word of mouth from some of my friends that still coach. Grew up with the older Coopers from SK and watched them back in the day. Not sure how good SK's program is now but they always had a good handful of good wrestlers and then in NKY it was either Ryle or Campbell Co.
Not sure of the relation but SK still has at least one Cooper left. They are kind of like the Ervins at Union County with most people wondering when they will ever run out. Kevin Cooper is a junior currently ranked 1st. So far this is how he has done at state:

 

7th Grade - Qualifier

8th Grade - 3rd Place

9th Grade - 2nd Place

10th Grade - State Champion

11th Grade - ???

12th Grade - ???

  • Author
Then I apologize to the young men working hard on the mats. Glad to hear it.

 

My perception is that wrestling has lost popularity. Is that wrong?

Clyde, when is the last time you've made it to a dual or tournament?
Clyde, when is the last time you've made it to a dual or tournament?

 

2002 when a friend of mine was honored.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.