$1.75M Insurance Settlement in PRP Football Player Death

Am I the only one who finds this disheartening? I think it's a terrible shame that Max died, but why does everyone find a need to sue somebody whenever something bad happens? Beat The Heat Foundation or not, I think it's uncalled for.

FROM CINCINNATI.COM:

INUSURERS TO PAY $1.75M TO SETTLE LAWSUIT OVER LOUISVILLE STUDENT'S DEATH

By Andrew Wolfson • awolfson@courier-journal.com • September 16, 2010

"Insurers for Jefferson County Public Schools and its employees have agreed to pay $1.75 million to the parents of 15-year-old Pleasure Ridge High School football player Max Gilpin, who died from heat stroke three days after he collapsed at a practice in August 2008.

The settlement, which lawyers for both sides confirmed, ends the lawsuit in which Michele Crockett and Jeff Gilpin alleged that the negligence of head coach Jason Stinson and five of his assistants caused Max's death. The suit accused Stinson and assistants Bobby Deacon, Steve Deacon, Adam Donnelly, Jason Cook and Josh Lightle of negligence and "reckless disregard" of heat-safety rules.

The accord settled all claims arising from Max's death, with no acknowledgment of liability by the defendants, the lawyers said.

Todd Thompson, who represented Max's mother, Michele Crockett, and Mike Cooper, who represented Max's father, Jeff Gilpin, said their clients decided to accept the offer because they believed that it would help finance the Max Gilpin Beat the Heat Foundation, which they founded to educate students and others about the dangers of heat-related injuries."