Muslim NYC Cabbie Stabbed

I could be off base, but the first thing that leaps to my mind is Hispanic on Hispanic crimes. Central American gang activity is on the rise across the country, and especially in areas with high drug trafficking. Not saying this is the case, but it would not surprise me to find that it is either.

The police don't believe that to be the case with the limited information they do have.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since you're the only one that's read the NY Times articles what's your take?

I don't have a take. I'm just interested in the story, and pointing out that the media has been covering other possible racially motivated attacks.

I read this story last night, and I thought it was an interesting perspective from a less "newsy" way of relating the way people in New York are dealing with the controversy.

I also read this story about how statistics can differ depending on the source and criteria used to qualify assaults.

And I missed this story detailing more about the recent attacks. I was also wrong about what the employment of the brother who was attacked. He was a busboy. It doesn't appear that it's Hispanic on Hispanic attacks as you suspect, FB. And the 10 attacks are being investigated as hate crimes. I really should read the NYT every day, and not just every couple to three days. I've missed a lot.

Here's an article about the situation as well.

I don't have a take. I'm just interested in the story, and pointing out that the media has been covering other possible racially motivated attacks.

But apparently not the anti-semitic ones. 93 vs 10. And have they been reported on CNN like this one has? I would expect the NYT to cover them all. If they didn't it would be one more good reason to tune them out.

A different article with an interesting stat from NYC Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly:

Including the attack on Sharif, there have been 10 hate crimes reported against Muslims in the city so far this year, up from six total last year, Kelly said. By comparison, the top hate-crime categories this year are 93 anti-Semitic, 36 anti-gay and 23 anti-black incidents, according to the NYPD.

The anti-Muslim total is so low, "I don't think you can draw any conclusions from these numbers," Kelly said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100826/ap_on_re_us/us_cabbie_stabbed

Not suggesting that this event isn't unfortunate and tragic in and of itself, but how is it that anti-semitic crimes outnumber anti-muslim crimes by 9.3 - 1 and we have not witnessed a proportionate outrage in the media?

I have some ideas, but I'm curious what all of you have to say about it?

8M people live in NYC. I find it impossible to believe that there have been 93,36,23, and 10 crimes against minorities.

8M people live in NYC. I find it impossible to believe that there have been 93,36,23, and 10 crimes against minorities.
I have no problem with whatever you choose to believe. I simply found an AP story quoting the NYC Chief of Po-Po's citing those numbers specifically regarding "hate" crimes. That's why I provided a link. Your problem is with him and the AP... I just thought it was interesting.

I have no problem with whatever you choose to believe. I simply found an AP story quoting the NYC Chief of Po-Po's citing those numbers specifically regarding "hate" crimes. That's why I provided a link. Your problem is with him and the AP... I just thought it was interesting.

I should clarify that my reply was not in response to any claim you made. I just find those low numbers impossible to believe.

As to your post, in my mind it's simple. Our Jewish brothers are not in the news like our Muslim brothers are. Plus, 0% of the morons in the country believe that our President is Jewish.

I should clarify that my reply was not in response to any claim you made. I just find those low numbers impossible to believe.

As to your post, in my mind it's simple. Our Jewish brothers are not in the news like our Muslim brothers are. Plus, 0% of the morons in the country believe that our President is Jewish.

And to clarify mine... I did not take your comments personally. I simply offered a quote I found interesting.

I have no problem with questioning the numbers, but I think the distinction is to be made between those specified as "hate" crimes versus your everyday run of the mill crimes.

As far as the reason our Jewish brethren have not been in the news as our Muslim brethren have been... there are a few very good reasons for that, but it's not worth bringing them up here...

The sad thing is, there are enough morons that would be as upset to learn that the president is Jewish as there are who believe he is Muslim.