NKY Senior Girls Invited to All Star tryouts

I've marked in bold the girls I recognize as NKY players invited to try out for the Kentucky Girls All Star team. If I've missed any NKY girls someone can please offer please correction:

Louisville Courier-Journal, by Jason Frakes

Monday, March 29, 2010

43 girls chosen for All-Star tryouts

Forty-three seniors, including 13 from the Louisville area, have been invited to try out for the Kentucky All-Star girls' basketball team.

Tryouts are set for April 16-17 at Campbellsville University. Kentucky will face the Indiana All-Stars on June 11 at Bellarmine University's Knights Hall and June 12 at Indianapolis' Conseco Fieldhouse.

State champion Mercy had three players invited to the tryouts - Malisa Cruz, Therese Montano and Ellen Sholtes. Others invited from the Louisville area were Seneca's Portia Durrett, Assumption's Molly Ernst, Christian Academy's Allison Karst and Antonita Slaughter, Fairdale's We-Nisha Mack, Manual's Zakiyah Shahid-Martin, South Oldham's Jordann McGuffin, Moore's Ondrea Shaw and Bullitt East's Kayla Thacker and Jade Troutman.

Miss Basketball Sarah Beth Barnette of Lexington Christian is the only player guaranteed a spot on the team.

Hart County's Tommy Adams is the team's head coach. Bullitt East's Chris Stallings is the assistant.

The list of invitees:

Sarah Beth Barnette (Lexington Christian); Jackie Alexander (Rockcastle County); Katie Allen, Bekah Towles (Highlands); Paige Barclay (Hickman County); Ariel Barnes (Henderson County); Destiny Bramblett (North Hardin); Kendra Brown, Jessica Upchurch (Lincoln County); Samantha Coleman (Middlesboro); Katelyn Conner (Ashland Blazer); Chelsea Craig (Franklin County); Malisa Cruz, Therese Montano, Ellen Sholtes (Mercy); Jessica Dean (South Laurel); Samantha Drake (Nelson County); Portia Durrett (Seneca); Molly Ernst (Assumption); Kelsey Ferguson (Elliott County); Tayla Foster (Madisonville-North Hopkins); Megan Hamilton (Betsy Layne); Holly Harris (Pike County Central); Lynette Harris (Webster County); Maris Hovee (June Buchanan); Mary Jehlik (Montgomery County); Lizza Jonas (Tates Creek); Allison Karst, Antonita Slaughter (Christian Academy); We-Nisha Mack (Fairdale); Jessica Marshall (East Carter); Zakiyah Shahid-Martin (Manual); Jordann McGuffin (South Oldham); Ebony Rowe (Paul Dunbar); Courtney Sandfoss (Newport Central Catholic); Heather Sandlin (Boone County); Brittany Sexton (Letcher County Central); Ondrea Shaw (Moore); Erica Smith (Bowling Green); Kayla Thacker, Jade Troutman (Bullitt East); Shelbi Tyra (Grayson County); Madisen Webb (Scott County)

Good luck to all the girls and congratulations on being picked to try out! :dancingpa

Jason tells me the C-J All State teams will likely come out on April 11th.

This year's tryouts will be interesting. After 4-5 spots, the field gets pretty even (in my opinion) so it will be fun to see who shows up and stands out from the rest. There are a lot of good players and I hope we get enough to bury Indiana.

Anyone know anything about their team of seniors this year?

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100326/SPORTS0217/3260354/1192/SPORTS0217/Indiana-Girls-All-Stars-roster-filled-with-winners

Name School Ht. PPG College Choice

Courtney Moses Oak Hill 5-7 31.7 Purdue

Dee Dee Williams Ben Davis 6-1 9.3 Purdue

Tabitha Gerardot FW Canterbury 6-0 21.6 Valparaiso

Jada Buggs Elkhart Memorial 6-0 15.8 Wisconsin

Andrea Newbauer FW Concordia 5-8 13.5 Indiana

Katy McIntosh Austin 5-8 20.9 Indianapolis

Brandy Woody Western Boone 5-7 19.3 Ball State

Jasmine Penny Logansport 6-1 24.6 DePaul

Anna Munn Decatur Central 5-10 16.9 Indiana State

Maegan Callaway Mooresville 6-1 17.7 Valparaiso

Demetria Nunley-Lash Ben Davis 5-8 9.3 IUPUI

Bryonna Davis Merrillville 5-7 20.9 Michigan State

Sarah Hamm Winchester 6-3 18.8 Butler

Khristian Hart Evansville Harrison 5-7 23.9 Evansville

• 3 weeks later...
I know none of the girls outside of NKY but I'd guess Sandfoss and Towles have the best chance of making the team among the NKY girls.

These two girls were not at tryouts. Don't know why, but they were not there. So you think the other two NKY girls have a shot?

These two girls were not at tryouts. Don't know why, but they were not there. So you think the other two NKY girls have a shot?

A better question might be how did Sandlin and Sandfoss look amongst all the other invitees? Your thoughts. That Indy teams looks pretty formidable.

I would think the Allen girl would have a shot. She is a talented player who does more than just score which is what you need to round out your all star squad.

I would think the Allen girl would have a shot. She is a talented player who does more than just score which is what you need to round out your all star squad.

Yes, I meant Allen when I typed Sandfoss above. Katie is very dynamic for sure.

Sandfoss did not try out because she is going to be out of town the week of the games.

Best of luck to the other NKY girls!