Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

North Laurel 58 Harlan County 51

Featured Replies

Final.

Sets up a North/South regional semifinal.

Good ballgame. Cheek really carried North early with his quick transition baskets. Wardrup took over in the 4th quarter. Likins had some huge 3's. Shears' block was a key play down the stretch. Just like the last time these 2 played, a good ballgame.

This was a physical battle on both ends of the floor.

This was a physical battle on both ends of the floor.

 

It certainly was. North led at the half, Harlan Co tied it up at the end of 3. Great effort from both teams.

 

I thought Harlan did a much better job in the 3rd at getting back in transition defense which really hurt them in the first half. Chris Cheek for North had 3-4 straight trips where he took a rebound on the defensive end and went straight to the basket on the other end very quickly. In the 4th quarter, Wardrup scored several of his game high 21 points to put North out in front.

 

On another note, I ended up sitting in the Harlan County section. I was impressed that while there were calls that both fan bases didn't like, the Black Bears fans were respectful and very cordial. They had better numbers than the Jaguars in regards to their fan base yet had a further trip to make.

Harlan County had it's chances to win. Good effort

Harlan County had it's chances to win. Good effort

 

I agree. Down 2 or 3 in the final minutes, they had numerous opportunites to score, but a combination of blocked shots, deflections and losing balls cost them. Also, I think that while they did a better job in the 2nd half, they had trouble getting back in transition defense A high percent of NL's points came off of transition baskets.

The place should be packed in the semifinals with all these big schools involved.

 

North vs. South. Sounds like the Civil War! :lol:

Maybe NL vs. SL or Cards vs. Jags is a better choice of words.

 

 

BTW, what is going to be the name of the new high school?

The place should be packed in the semifinals with all these big schools involved.

 

North vs. South. Sounds like the Civil War! :lol:

Maybe NL vs. SL or Cards vs. Jags is a better choice of words.

 

 

BTW, what is going to be the name of the new high school?

 

They are leaning towards West Laurel, but I don't think anything has been confirmed for sure. I would like to see them go another direction, ... but then again, I didn't like it when they split and changed Laurel County to South Laurel. Should have left the tradition alone IMHO.

They are leaning towards West Laurel, but I don't think anything has been confirmed for sure. I would like to see them go another direction, ... but then again, I didn't like it when they split and changed Laurel County to South Laurel. Should have left the tradition alone IMHO.[/QUOTE]

 

 

 

 

I 100% agree with what you say. Why in the world didn't they just leave the school's name what it already was, Laurel County. They could have still created the new school and called it North Laurel if they wanted. In the state tournament program it has Laurel County winning 1 state championship and then has South Laurel winning 1 state title in a different column, when it is actually the same school winning 2 championships. Just taking part of a school's students to create a new school does not change the fact that the old school still exists. They're still the Cardinals.

I have never understood why the Laurel County officials did that.

I 100% agree with what you say. Why in the world didn't they just leave the school's name what it already was, Laurel County. They could have still created the new school and called it North Laurel if they wanted. In the state tournament program it has Laurel County winning 1 state championship and then has South Laurel winning 1 state title in a different column, when it is actually the same school winning 2 championships. Just taking part of a school's students to create a new school does not change the fact that the old school still exists. They're still the Cardinals.

I have never understood why the Laurel County officials did that.

 

Nor do I. They threw out all the old Laurel County records, but put the state title banners back up (5 girls titles, 1 boys title) several years ago. The old school records for basketball, in track & field, football, baseball, etc, were mostly thrown out like they never existed. My thought is that if you want to keep the banners up, then keep all the old records as well. I was a Laurel County Cardinal and proud of it. However, this move alienated a lot of graduates.

 

It will be interesting how they redistrict when they do build the new high school. It could impact South Laurel more if they are not careful. But no matter how they do it, it will tick somebody off, ... that is unavoidable. All 3 schools would be in the 3A range for football (if enrollment numbers remain on pace and the enrollment numbers are relatively even as they are now between NL and SL).

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.