Beechwood 21 Newport Central Catholic 6 (Frosh)

Impressive defensive game by Beechwood. Big difference from the game earlier in the season against New Cath. Beechwood pretty much shut down the New Cath passing game that hurt Beechwood so much in the first game between these teams. I think New Cath only had 3 or 4 first downs the entire first half. Two Beechwood fumbles inside the New Cath 30 kept Beechwood from taking complete control in the first half. Erdman returned an interception 99 yards for a TD for Beechwood. New Cath came out the second half and played better defensively to keep this game in doubt till Nussbaum took a WR screen 40 yards for a TD late in the 4th quarter. Very well played freshman game by both teams.

No report from Cooper but there is little doubt they win over Holy Cross. So it should be Cooper vs. Beechwood for the small schools freshman title next week.

Good job BW. #42 and #24 are studs. Those 2 dominated the game.

NCC had a chance with 4 min left in the game on about the 50. They had just drove down the field (runninhg the ball). So what do they call? 3 long bombs. What the heck?

4 min left Im running the ball to eat the clock and score late. NCC ran the ball great in second half.

Sorry just being armchair QB

Good luck BW agaist Cooper

NCC had a chance with 4 min left in the game on about the 50. They had just drove down the field (runninhg the ball). So what do they call? 3 long bombs. What the heck?

4 min left Im running the ball to eat the clock and score late. NCC ran the ball great in second half.

I think that is a valid question. Throwing on first down was the play I would question. NCC had trouble throwing against Beechwood's defense all night and they were starting to get more positive plays running the ball. So I can see where you are coming from. I would have run the ball on first down there for sure. But I think when you have success all year throwing it, and when the passing game is what won the first game for NCC against Beechwood, and your one TD did come on a pass play ... well, I can also see why the coach had good reason to think he may be able to get something throwing the ball. That is the thing in a close game. There are always plays in hindsight that you wonder what if we did this.

NCC has a very nice team and a lot of good players. This group should continue the winning tradition for the Thoroughbreds as they move up to the next level.

#42 is Nussbaum and #24 is Erdman. They are definitely among the best freshmen in N. Ky. this year.