September 9, 200917 yr You're kidding, right???? I'm not black and I can name dozens without thinking hard about it. Governors, Mayors, Senators, Supreme Court and Court of Appleal justices, business leaders, media (ok, that on is entertainment these days). I have to wonder if the black children who can't name a bunch of black leaders will really be impacted by the president. It seems to me their parents have already set them up for failure by not stressing these leaders as role models. If the parent doesn't provide the guidance, I think there are few people who will motivate themselves. I think that is true no matter the race, religion, demographics, etc. Your point has logic. However, the piece I think you're missing is the precedent and the visibility aspect. America as a whole (not just blacks) is ignorant of its leaders if that leader is not in the news daily . Talking about Thurgood Marshall is important but to a kid that's "ancient history." Talking about a black governor or mayor or Senator is important but its nowhere near the same as talking about a black man as leader of the free world. A kid can have ignorant parents who teach them nothing and STILL be inspired when they see a black man as President.
September 10, 200917 yr Scout I appreciate your passion and as a father I am happy you feel like you can teach your kids to dream. I also think if I posted in a thread "you black people" that it would make peoples jaw drop. The double standard in our society is really sad. I have two kids and coach about 55 more right now. I've coached thousands over the years that I treat the way I want my kids to be treated. In the end I could care less what color their skin is. I try to talk to all of them about what they enjoy doing. I then ask them what their plan is to go do what they love the rest of their life. I understand where you are coming from but the verbage in your first post is the double standard that makes me cringe!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.