Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Prestonsburg 26 Breathitt County 25

Featured Replies

P-Burg notches a couple of big early wins. Will be interesting to see where this momentum takes them.

Grats to both teams.

As I stated in another tread, this would be the game of the week in the mountains. Nice win for P'burg!

Nice win for P-burg...the end was similar to last year's game when BC snapped the ball over the punters head and P'burg punched it in for the win.

 

Breathitt was running wild in the first half, but they left points on the field and it come back to bite them.

 

A few thoughts...

 

-I was really impressed with P'burg's QB. He played great. The Blackcats had no running game last night, but he did a great job in the passing game. (Of course, he had a lot of guys running wide open in the second half. On one play, his toughest decision was which of the three wide open receivers to throw to between the hash marks.) #25 did a nice job catching the football...he wasn't the only one, but he seemed to stand out to me.

 

-Breathitt looked gassed from late in the third quarter through the rest of the game...at least I'm hoping they were. If not, they just quit for the last 15 minutes of the game.

 

-I was expecting to see more improvement from Breathitt's passing game this season. They can hurt you bad in the air, but it's like the lottery. Your number might come up, but it probably won't. Missed throws, dropped passes.

 

-Forgetting the TO's spent in the first half, BC had the ball 1st and goal from the 9 with just under 10 seconds to play...there was time for at least one throw to the end zone and then a second play. Instead, they handed to Fugate who got stopped just inches shy of scoring. I don't have a problem with that play in particular, just that they could have taken a shot at the end zone before handing it to their big RB.

 

-Breathitt was sloppy. Sloppy penalties. Two games in a row. That needs to get fixed.

 

Opening 1-2 and back-to-back losses is disappointing, but the Bobcats have plenty of room for improvement. The starting LT missed his sophomore season with a torn ACL. He should get better as time passes. They have three freshmen who start or play significant snaps on defense. They should get improve.

 

The biggest problem is that Channing Fugate can't leave the field. He makes the offense in its current form...but, because he has to play on defense, his touches have to be limited to keep him as fresh as possible throughout the game. I think the spread passing attack P'burg used last night played a huge role in wearing Fugate down in the second half. He wasn't the same player. I don't know if that was the plan, or if it just happened that way, but they deserve some credit for it.

 

IMO, the Bobcats would be better off putting someone else in at safety, even if it is a downgrade (playing him in spot duty if necessary) and saving Fugate for offense. If they could feed him the ball time after time without worrying about wearing him down, I think the net gain would be positive. I could be wrong.

 

This season has started very similar to last year. Hopefully, it will end up similar (but not exact). I'm not worried. Breathitt has lost to two very good teams. And, they could just as easily be 3-0. This team is good, but it has plenty of room to improve. Now they know it and hopefully they'll buckle down and do it, like last year. I believe they had some strong senior leadership in '08, and I'm hoping they have it now. They have a chance (like several other teams) to win a state title...it doesn't matter to me what the final record is. Louisville Central was 5-5 heading into the post-season in one of their title runs. Breathitt just needs to keep working hard...they'll finish strong and this season will turn out well.

 

Congratulations to P'burg and good luck the rest of the way.

 

To the Bobcats, keep your head up and keep working hard. You lost two games that could have easily turned out different against two good football teams. It happens. Just remember how you responded to a couple of disappointing losses in 2008.

...

 

The biggest problem is that Channing Fugate can't leave the field. He makes the offense in its current form...but, because he has to play on defense, his touches have to be limited to keep him as fresh as possible throughout the game. I think the spread passing attack P'burg used last night played a huge role in wearing Fugate down in the second half. He wasn't the same player. I don't know if that was the plan, or if it just happened that way, but they deserve some credit for it.

 

IMO, the Bobcats would be better off putting someone else in at safety, even if it is a downgrade (playing him in spot duty if necessary) and saving Fugate for offense. If they could feed him the ball time after time without worrying about wearing him down, I think the net gain would be positive. I could be wrong.

...

 

 

No, that's P-burg's standard offense this year. It's built around Michael Burchett and the passing game. The Blackcats have a number of good athletes, but no true RB.

 

And I agree with you about taking Fugate off the defense. Absolutely.

I was really dissapointed in the coaching honestly. If Breathitt kicks 2 extra points instead of going for 2 three times in a row they win. Does Breathitt not have a kid that can at least kick an extra point?

I still see Breathitt Co. being in the state finals.

Didnt see this one coming. Good luck to both.

Good game for P-Burg. I think that once Breathitt gets several of their key players back they will be alright. They had 4 senior starters off their defense and also 3 offensive starters. That is alot of leadership considering they are thin in numbers already. I still think that they have to do a better job in the passing attack to be the club we think they can be. Jade has struggled more this year than I expected. Good player and I expect he will be alright. It's hard to take 2 losses that easily could have been wins.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.