Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Russell 21 East Carter 0

Featured Replies

Congrats to the Devils on an opening week win. Heard some of it on the radio sounded Russell turned the ball over a few times but Russell's defense played very well and bailed the offense out. Either way a win is a win.

Congrats to the Devils on the shutout.

Congrats to Russell on the "W", looks like it is business as usual on Red Devil Lane.

Russell played really well and surprised me in a lot of areas. I can tell right away that I am going to really like this team this year. They have two major shortcomings, not a lot of overwhelming size and not a lot of blazing speed. Usually, that would be a recipe for disaster, but this team gives a lot of effort, encourages each other on the sidelines, and looks like they are trying to do what the coaches tell them. They are going to be fun to watch. It is obvious the coaches are putting them in the right places for the best results.

 

Defensively, they played a solid game. Joel Korzep made a lot of nice plays. As expected, Will Rice and Kamron Smith played well. The guys who filled in for them in spots looked good as well. I like the secondary a lot as Patrick Cooper made a nice interception. It is also interesting to see the 2 big sophomores, Logan Dehoff and Justin Davidson back at the safety positions. Having 6-2, 195 lb and 6-5, 220 lb safeties seems like a great idea. Making defense their primary focus is a good idea as well. They could potentially be a real force as the season progresses. East Carter didn't have a lot on offense, but Russell pretty much shut down everything they tried. They did what they were supposed to do.

 

Offensively, Russell surprised me as they started junior Jordan Roark at QB. He did a nice job for the most part. I really like his poise and demeanor on the field. Travis Jones and Will Rice ran very hard all evening. Jesse White-Reed has a good burst and made some nice runs as well. Even sophomore Zach Thompson contributed with some good runs. The line did a good job against a bigger team. That's going to be the story a lot this year, though, so they better get used to it. Kamron Smith made some bruising blocks as the pulling guard. Credit should also go to QB Brandon Sparks for making a nice TD pass to Nathan Taylor.

 

The kicking game was good as Tanner Locey made all 3 extra points and kicked off decently. Nathan Taylor punted well and the coverage was pretty good on both kickoffs and punts.

 

The flaws? A few mishandled snaps, a couple of interceptions, a fumble trying to get extra yards, and a lot of holding penalties. Russell has a lot to work on, but I really think this team will get better as the season progresses. They seem to have the right attitude. They'll need to keep that attitude under adversity as it is surely coming this season because the future holds some very tough teams, but I think they can do it.

 

As for East Carter, they have a lot to work on, but it looks like they have some decent size to work with and they have a tremendous kicker. Overall, good job Red Devils.

I was sort of shocked about this game... may be a very long season for Russell

I was sort of shocked about this game... may be a very long season for Russell

 

What did you expect?

East is not very good at all...Just saying. Russell is very down this year IMO

East is not very good at all...Just saying. Russell is very down this year IMO

 

I agree that East Carter isn't very good.

 

I also agree that Russell doesn't have a Josh Gross, Kasey Clark, or Drew Abrams in the backfield this year or an Ethan Gullett, Toby Hicks, or Mike Dillon on the line. They have been blessed with some very good players this decade.

 

I do think Russell has a bunch of fundamentally solid players, though, who seem to be working as team as well as any Russell team I've seen in the last couple of years. I really think that intangible is going to go a long way.

 

Besides, if Russell cleaned up the holding penalties and turnovers, then this would have turned out to be a 42-0 game like you might have expected.

Really 42-0? I was at the game and with 6 minutes to go, it was 7-0. Russell played a team that was poorly coached and were blessed that they have one of the best coaching staffs in the state. Russell looked like the better team for a total of three possesions in the entire game.

I thought East was bigger and faster, but Russell was much more disciplined. Their offensive line got off the ball and opened holes. They definitely don't have playmakers, but are so fundamentally sound and well-coached. Russell will be fine, not a great year, but solid. East has alot to work on during their bye week, offense has to show up from here on out to give Coach Manning's defense some rest.

Really 42-0? I was at the game and with 6 minutes to go, it was 7-0. Russell played a team that was poorly coached and were blessed that they have one of the best coaching staffs in the state. Russell looked like the better team for a total of three possesions in the entire game.

 

I was just tallying it up based on the number of drives that Russell killed with the turnovers and penalties. They scored 21. I figure they could have scored a couple more if they cut down on the mistakes, so maybe 35 rather than 42?

 

I will agree, though, and reiterate that this season is going to be one of Ivan McGlone and staff's most challenging. They don't have the standout talent like they did for the most part of this decade. I still think they have some good players, though. We'll see what happens.

23 is a good player...and 16 is a big kid. I really believe that they are the best coached team in this part of Kentucky. East probably had as many penalties or more, and the same amount of turnovers.

23 is a good player...and 16 is a big kid. I really believe that they are the best coached team in this part of Kentucky. East probably had as many penalties or more, and the same amount of turnovers.

 

Good point.

 

Believe me, I'm not trying to argue this is one of Russell's best teams. I just think they are going to be fun to watch as the season goes along as long as they don't get down when they take their lumps, and they will take their lumps.

 

With all the stories about and evidence of the division and infighting on the more talented Russell teams of the last couple of years, it is refreshing to watch a bunch of guys pulling for each other with what seems to be good leadership and attitudes.

Good point.

 

Believe me, I'm not trying to argue this is one of Russell's best teams. I just think they are going to be fun to watch as the season goes along as long as they don't get down when they take their lumps, and they will take their lumps.

 

With all the stories about and evidence of the division and infighting on the more talented Russell teams of the last couple of years, it is refreshing to watch a bunch of guys pulling for each other with what seems to be good leadership and attitudes.

 

:thumb: Good Post...Watching a great team isn't as fun when the fans know they don't like each other

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.