Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

District consolation games in 15th Region???

Featured Replies

I noticed on khsaa.org a couple of games in the 15th Region that were not being played on Friday night as a championship game. It appears that in the 57th & 59th Disctricts they must play consolation games for 3rd place in their districts because from the 57th Sheldon Clark beat Magoffin Co, who both lost in the semis of their district, and Phelps beat Pike County Central in the 59th where both of them also lost in their semis. Do these districts have consolation games and if so do any other districts do this? I was not aware that any districts in the state did this. That's a new one on me. :idunno:

The 15th Region has different rules than everyone else.

 

I hope the KHSAA will remedy this soon.

The 15th Region has different rules than everyone else.

 

I hope the KHSAA will remedy this soon.

From what I have been told, its one and done. Was a short term experiment to test an answer that might avoid further disruptive realignments when consolidations occur. But its "different" so I hear it wasn't well received by anyone outside of Region 15. Heaven forbid try anything new (like renumbering football regions to get different brackets):rolleyes: They are to keep everything the same way it has been for 40 years even if the number of schools change.

From what I have been told, its one and done. Was a short term experiment to test an answer that might avoid further disruptive realignments when consolidations occur. But its "different" so I hear it wasn't well received by anyone outside of Region 15. Heaven forbid try anything new (like renumbering football regions to get different brackets):rolleyes: They are to keep everything the same way it has been for 40 years even if the number of schools change.

 

How would playing a 3rd place game "avoid further disruptive realignments?" Playing a 3rd place game doesn't prevent consolidation or create new schools in the area. There's gotta be a better explanation than that.

I cant give you a complete answer in terms of the thought process behind this, but its b/c of the "Superdistrict" that is the combination of the 59th and 60th districts. Because these two districts have combined to play one tournament, there had to be a consolation game to decide which teams would qualify for the regional tourney (the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams) and which would have to be a part of a "play-in" game (the 4th place team)to qualify for the region.

 

Similiarly, the 57th had to play a consolation game to decide the other team that would be in the play-in game (i think it was their 3rd place team).

 

Its all very confusing but I hope this helps.

So this year in two districts of the 15rh Region, it's a two and out, not a one and out district Tourney. :confused:

  • Author

O.K. I'm starting to get it. After further review I see that the 15th Region only has 15 teams, therefore it's impossible to have 4 districts with at least 4 teams apiece. I see now that there is no actual 60th District tournament.

 

O.K. so there's a 57th District tourney w/ a consolation game. A 58th District tourney without a consolation game. A 59th District tourney comprised of the 59th & 60th Districts w/ a consolation game.

 

Q: Wouldn't the losers of the semi's in the 58th District, who have no consolation game, feel slighted that 4 other teams from their region still have a chance to advance even after having lost in the semi's?

 

I understand with your present situation of 15 teams, that you've gotta do something to come up with 8 teams for the Regional.

 

I'm assuming that the winners of the two consolation games fill out the field of 8 teams for the 15th Region tournament. 3 District champs, 3 District Runner-ups, and 2 consolation winners. Now how the Regional pairings are selected I guess brings on more questions. :idunno:

 

The 16th Region has 16 teams, so they're set, but the 14th Region has 17 teams. I haven't looked at a map to compare distances of teams, but couldn't the 15th grab up a team from the 14th so that the 14th, 15th & 16th all have 16 teams... Then ... solving the problem??? :idunno:

 

Still, perhaps I'm not fully understanding something because that sounds too simple of a remedy to solve the problem. Maybe someone from the 15th can shed some light on why something like moving a team from the 14th wouldn't work. I don't know the area, so maybe they're spread thin as it is and there's no perfect answers with regard to travel or something. :idunno:

 

(On a side note, didn't some teams in other regions ... maybe in the western part of the state ... also have issues in the past with filling out a 4 team district and had to play a round robin style tourney w/3 teams to decide on the champs and runnerups? Does this still happen or has realignment corrected that?) :confused:

From what I have been told, its one and done. Was a short term experiment to test an answer that might avoid further disruptive realignments when consolidations occur. But its "different" so I hear it wasn't well received by anyone outside of Region 15. Heaven forbid try anything new (like renumbering football regions to get different brackets):rolleyes: They are to keep everything the same way it has been for 40 years even if the number of schools change.

 

 

 

They are allowed two mistakes over the past 20 years or so. I usually agree with the KHSAA, and I have the stories/columns to prove it, but I was one of the first ones to say that the superdistrict in basketball and shuffling the regions in football were bad ideas.

 

There aren't many consolidations left. After McCracken and Muhlenberg, how many other possibilities are there. I guess something could happen in Floyd eventually, but it should be pretty well set. I volunteer to help come up with a long-range realigment any time. Me and Westsider and Julian Tackett could do it during dinner at the state tournament. We need a map and three pencils.

O.K. I'm starting to get it. After further review I see that the 15th Region only has 15 teams, therefore it's impossible to have 4 districts with at least 4 teams apiece. I see now that there is no actual 60th District tournament.

 

O.K. so there's a 57th District tourney w/ a consolation game. A 58th District tourney without a consolation game. A 59th District tourney comprised of the 59th & 60th Districts w/ a consolation game.

 

Q: Wouldn't the losers of the semi's in the 58th District, who have no consolation game, feel slighted that 4 other teams from their region still have a chance to advance even after having lost in the semi's?

 

I understand with your present situation of 15 teams, that you've gotta do something to come up with 8 teams for the Regional.

 

I'm assuming that the winners of the two consolation games fill out the field of 8 teams for the 15th Region tournament. 3 District champs, 3 District Runner-ups, and 2 consolation winners. Now how the Regional pairings are selected I guess brings on more questions. :idunno:

 

The 16th Region has 16 teams, so they're set, but the 14th Region has 17 teams. I haven't looked at a map to compare distances of teams, but couldn't the 15th grab up a team from the 14th so that the 14th, 15th & 16th all have 16 teams... Then ... solving the problem??? :idunno:

 

Still, perhaps I'm not fully understanding something because that sounds too simple of a remedy to solve the problem. Maybe someone from the 15th can shed some light on why something like moving a team from the 14th wouldn't work. I don't know the area, so maybe they're spread thin as it is and there's no perfect answers with regard to travel or something. :idunno:

 

(On a side note, didn't some teams in other regions ... maybe in the western part of the state ... also have issues in the past with filling out a 4 team district and had to play a round robin style tourney w/3 teams to decide on the champs and runnerups? Does this still happen or has realignment corrected that?) :confused:

 

 

I think the original plan had Knott and JBS moving to the 15th and Clay moving to the 14th.

Something along those lines would work, but Clay probably wouldn't move since it is the 13th Region's most recognized team statewide.

 

The realignment fixed all the three-team districts temporarily, but more changes are needed to due to consolidations and closings. The mistake in the 15th was counting on the David School and Piarist to field teams. That is where you need a five-team district if possible.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.