Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Softball Field Excuses

Featured Replies

  • Author
So does this mean that the coach and his staff are okay with the current conditions?

 

No way but i think there afraid of backlash. And i dont blame them.

  • Author
You might have already tried but I would talk to your school AD and if that doesn't work have a meeting with the school board.

 

School board is scared of its own shadows. But from my understanding in the state of Ky school boards are no more than figure heads anyway. When it comes to spreading the money around.

I think one side of the argument that has not been talked about is the service that the team is getting/not getting. If the field is run by a city park, the school may not be spending any money which in these times is not such a bad thing. If the district itself does not have the funds to provide a top notch field, a city run park isn't so bad. Academics are still supposed to come first and softball is not a money sport

 

I also feel that the district just simply might not be able to match your enthusiasm about the sport.

  • Author
I think one side of the argument that has not been talked about is the service that the team is getting/not getting. If the field is run by a city park, the school may not be spending any money which in these times is not such a bad thing. If the district itself does not have the funds to provide a top notch field, a city run park isn't so bad. Academics are still supposed to come first and softball is not a money sport

 

I also feel that the district just simply might not be able to match your enthusiasm about the sport.

 

The field is on school property but last time i checked this sight is sports leaning. I agree academics are number one but i think egual rights for are young women is to. And in this district its not that way at this point.

If you've tried explaining and negotiating without success then one of two things will happen and this is based upon the district having adequate funds to even do what you wish:

 

1. Someone will do the hard thing and sue or threaten to sue to make things right

 

2. Nothing and things will stay the same.

 

I hope this doesn't offend you but if they won't do it voluntarily then someone must make them.

  • Author
If you've tried explaining and negotiating without success then one of two things will happen and this is based upon the district having adequate funds to even do what you wish:

 

1. Someone will do the hard thing and sue or threaten to sue to make things right

 

2. Nothing and things will stay the same.

 

I hope this doesn't offend you but if they won't do it voluntarily then someone must make them.

 

I think you for all the comments im afraid number one is what its going to come down to. Because number two is not acceptable on so many levels.

Unfortunately That is often the case, if the carrot does not work you must be willing to use the stick. I wish you luck as I feel that the girls should have quality facilities as well as the boys.

Another thing that could be tried is get a group of parents together who are willing to do the work and do it yourself. Not the way it should be done but it could work. Maybe talk to the school board and say provide some money we will provide the work. Something to that affect. Often times people just complain about things not being done instead of trying to do something about it.

 

I wish you all the luck in the world. If we don't fight for the girls rights no one will.

 

We will be playing at a very nice facility this season but it is a city rec park. Not my ideal situation but at the same time I don't think the school could or would have anything this nice.

 

Coach McCoy

North and South Laurel are very fortunate that in the past, the adminstration has been pretty supportive of the softball programs. They are both in the top 7 for all time wins in KHSAA history (NL #1 with 455 and SL #7 with 381 wins) and a big part of that is the support. Both facilities are very nice and both schools have had Miss Softball (Hawkins from SL and Abner from NL). I expect with Durham (former NL coach) as the AD at North Laurel and former baseball coach Gilbert as the AD at South that this support won't change at all.

 

Corbin and Whitley County have some of the nicest softball facilities in the SEKY area and Corbin is an up and coming program.

 

If your school is not giving the support they should give, then by all means use Title IX to give them a level playing field.

 

 

You are correct, North and South have great facilities, I think Corbin, South, Whitley, and North, (in no particuliar order) are tops in the regioin. I think that it shows a committment from the administrations at those schools to girls athletics. Williamsburg has added an on campus facility which is nicer than what they had before.

 

I think that it is very frustrating to the girls (and parents) to play on sub-standard fields, and should never happen. I would not hesitate to use Title IX to get the proper facilities for the girls, they work just as hard as the boys and deserve equal playing fields. There are surveys by the state every year to make sure that athletic facilities are fair and equitable, and evey year I wonder how some schools get by, while others who appear to be at or near equal get gigged. Several years ago one school almost had to give a trip to Florida because the Title IX inspection said things were not even.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.