54 members have voted

1. 1. Who won Round two?

• McCain convincingly
    • McCain barely
    • Obama barely
    • Obama convincingly
    • Push, both stunk up the town hall
    • Push, both were awe-inspiring

Didn't watch it; didn't vote. I couldn't care less what any politician says on the stump or in any debate. Totally meaningless exercises created by the networks to generate ratings and revenues. This will be what many feel is another condescending post by me, but anyone that bases their vote on what is said in a debate or on the stump is, in my opinion, frankly either naive or a fool.
:thumb: Records count. Stump speeches and campaign promises (a/k/a programs) are for chumps and last night's debate was just a collection of lines from stump speeches. You did not miss much.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, Obama won....barely.

Reasons:

1) I've read over and over and over that Obama is a charasmatic, great speaker....as long as he has a teleprompter. I was interested in watching this debate to see what the differences in Obama's delivery and McCain's delivery would be. McCain is the purported master of this forum. Well, I think Obama nailed it. Both had stumbling, stammering moments. Both had times they had to correct themselves within their comments. But Obama looked at ease, comfortable and confident. I felt the "less" restrained format actually worked to McCain's disadvantage, as he didn't look at all comfortable. At times, it appeared he was ticked off, others he just wanted to get it over with.

2) Up to this point, I had never seen the mean-streak in McCain. I, as I've stated before, have never had any real issue with him as a candidate. Last night, I was fairly shocked at some of the snide comments he made...not those within the context of an answer or rebuttal, but in the interim between questions. I thought that was pretty petty.

3) Obama missed several opportunities. He did a fabulous job, I thought, of answeringthe questions....when he was presented the question first. I felt he completely blew several opportunities when McCain would answer the question first, and Obama would go into rebuttal mode, versus answer-the-question mode.

4) I feel McCain tried hard to really get under Obama's skin. I know that if I had been Obama, he'd have been under mine. But, I feel Obama handled it well. From McCain, I could literally hear the loathing in his voice when referencing Obama toward's the end. I think Obama got under McCain's skin, more than the reverse.

5) Both candidates would have served themselves better had they stuck to the self-imposed time limits.

6) I like Tom Brokaw, but feel he'd be a better moderator in a more formal debate format than the informal environment of the town hall format.

I agree with all of this RM. :thumb:

BTW, I still can't find Obama's teleprompter. ;)