Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Boys' State Golf

Featured Replies

Which team do you favor to win the Boys' State golf tourney at the end of this week?

 

Region Team Region Score

1 Marshall County 291

6 St. Xavier 296

9 Paul Dunbar 304

9 Lexington Christian 304

5 Elizabethtown 306

4 West Jessamine 307

2 Daviess County 310

3 Russellville 311

3 Monroe County 311

4 Taylor County 312

10 Corbin 312

11 Pikeville 312

12 Greenup County 313

6 Male 315

10 Somerset 315

12 Elliott County 315

2 Apollo 317

11 Johnson Central 318

5 John Hardin 319

8 Pendleton County 321

1 Heath 325

7 Ryle 326

7 Covington Catholic 334

8 Mason County 336

Gotta go with Dunbar. They came out of the most competitive region, although the top 4 teams are all very strong.

Guessing St. X looks tough as usual? Assuming the tourney is still at BGCC, so I'd guess the 3rd region teams will be tough as they've probably got some experience there. Hard to argue with Marshall's 291, and be careful of Ryle and CovCath as I heard they had KC's Willows really tricked up for the regional tourney.

  • Author

St X and Marshall County appear to be the strongest based on other tournaments played during the season like the KIT. I would put Dunbar, Lexington Christian in the next tier. Elliott County and Ryle could also finish top 5.

 

Elliott County and Ryle play Friday a.m. while the other 4 mentioned here play in the afternoon. The weather can change significantly from morning to afternoon (for better or worse). Weather is looking good for both Friday and Saturday.

One thing for sure is that the Bowling Green Country Club does a fantastic job putting on this event. I'll be there Friday following West Jessamine.

  • Author

Top 4 teams - St X, Marshall County, Lexington Christian, and Dunbar.

All within 4 strokes (+3 to +7)

 

Then, a 17 stroke gap to teams in 5th-8th.

 

Looking forward to seeing West Jessamine play (assuming Ryle, West Jessamine, and Dunbar play together). Fred Meyer (7th grade) shot 74 today to lead his team.

 

I over-estimated Elliott County -- two 6th graders is a bit much for this tournament.

Top 4 teams - St X, Marshall County, Lexington Christian, and Dunbar.

All within 4 strokes (+3 to +7)

 

Then, a 17 stroke gap to teams in 5th-8th.

 

Looking forward to seeing West Jessamine play (assuming Ryle, West Jessamine, and Dunbar play together). Fred Meyer (7th grade) shot 74 today to lead his team.

 

I over-estimated Elliott County -- two 6th graders is a bit much for this tournament.

 

Both are good kids with lots of potential, I haven't seen the course-were there some longer carries (over hazards) that got them in trouble?

  • Author
[/b]

 

Both are good kids with lots of potential, I haven't seen the course-were there some longer carries (over hazards) that got them in trouble?

 

The 6th graders shot 92 and 102. The 3 seniors shot a combined +12.

 

I heard the course played around 6900 yards. Many tight tree-lined fairways. No long carries over hazards. Bermuda grass rough grabs the ball and the club - more than the grass on most courses in Kentucky.

 

It's great to see a number of middle-school kids in the tournament. West Jessamine has a 6th, 7th, and 8th grader on their team and sit in 5th place.

looks like it is comming down to St X or Marshall , 6 holes left and 2 shot lead for St X. This is where you need your 4 or 5 man to step up.

Saint X wins!

 

Nice job Tigers and congratulations to the first year head coach !

Top 4 teams - St X, Marshall County, Lexington Christian, and Dunbar.

All within 4 strokes (+3 to +7)

 

Then, a 17 stroke gap to teams in 5th-8th.

 

Looking forward to seeing West Jessamine play (assuming Ryle, West Jessamine, and Dunbar play together). Fred Meyer (7th grade) shot 74 today to lead his team.

 

I over-estimated Elliott County -- two 6th graders is a bit much for this tournament.

 

Just think of the experience they're getting and their potential to really stand out once they finally make it to high school. Also . . . I believe at least one of those 6th grades scored a lot better than several of the real high school boys.

  • Author

Please don't misunderstand, I do think it's great that the middle school kids were able to play. The state golf tournament is a special experience. Of the 22 kids who shot 90 or more on Day 1, only 5 were in middle school. Still, I would not have expected a team with two 6th graders to make the cut, such as Elliott County who made the cut on the strength of their top 3 (seniors).

 

Most remarkable to me was West Jessamine who made the cut with three players from middle school. I expect we'll see them several more times in the upcoming years.

 

I got to see Fred Allen Meyer from West Jessamine play. Fred Allen played and acted like a high school upper classman. He started day 2 with some nervousness but never lost his composure and never showed any frustration.

Please don't misunderstand, I do think it's great that the middle school kids were able to play. The state golf tournament is a special experience. Of the 22 kids who shot 90 or more on Day 1, only 5 were in middle school. Still, I would not have expected a team with two 6th graders to make the cut, such as Elliott County who made the cut on the strength of their top 3 (seniors).

 

Most remarkable to me was West Jessamine who made the cut with three players from middle school. I expect we'll see them several more times in the upcoming years.

 

I got to see Fred Allen Meyer from West Jessamine play. Fred Allen played and acted like a high school upper classman. He started day 2 with some nervousness but never lost his composure and never showed any frustration.

He told me was a little disappointed with his 81 on day two, but 74-81 and playing against some of the best in the state as a 7th grader wasn't bad. He has passion and respect for the game. The experience will only make him more mature. I know his parents would appreciate your compliment.

 

The young guns from West Jess will only get better.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.